PlantFiles: Hardy Amaryllis, St. Joseph's Lily
Hippeastrum x johnsonii

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hippeastrum (hip-ee-ASS-trum) (Info)
Species: x johnsonii (jon-SOHN-ee-eye) (Info)

Bulbs

Red-Orange

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

This plant is resistant to deer

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By Kaufmann

Thumbnail #6 of Hippeastrum x johnsonii by Paulwhwest

By HJohnston
Thumbnail #7 of Hippeastrum x johnsonii by HJohnston

Positive weedsfree On Oct 22, 2011, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

I thought I had lost this plant somehow. I didn't see it last year at all. This spring I found something putting out leaves and I couldn't identify it. So I carefully dug it up. It was a half eaten (or cut in half) Amaryllis. What's more, is it was just sitting on top of the soil surface. I potted it and now have 6 babies growing from that half. We had some bad winters in 2009 and 2010, lots of snow and 0-+3F, so I was quite excitedly surprised.

Positive davidisaturn On Apr 2, 2011, davidisaturn from Austin, TX wrote:

This is an amazing bulb and it performs wonderfully here in central Texas. I live in Austin and a friend from church gave me a couple of bulbs about 8 years ago. They have multiplied and I never give them any special care. They easily survived the 10+ days of freezing weather (below 20 several days) this past winter and our summers are often 100+. The person who gave me these called them St. Joseph's Trumpet (maybe a colloquial reference?).

Positive spslater On Oct 8, 2010, spslater from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I received bulbs some 25 years ago from a neighbor. Dug some up when we moved 16 years ago and have divided them and given them away several time sinces then. They grow well is the red clay of central Oklahoma. No particular detailed care. Dozens of beautiful red blooms every spring. I get compliments on them every year.

Positive dragonplant On Apr 30, 2008, dragonplant from Chapel Hill, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is a pass-along plant in my family too. They all live in zone 8 or 9, so when they passed it to me I wasn't sure it was going to survive the winter outside in 7a. It did! If a late frost comes, the leaves that have already come up will turn a brownish shade, but they stay alive, it still flowers, and it still comes back the next year to flower again.

Positive bugme On Aug 18, 2005, bugme from Barnesville, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is (or was) only a passalong plant for many years. It was given to me by a sister-in-law whose Grandmother had it in Florida. A beautiful bloom and even after blooms are gone the foliage is pretty unlike other lilies. Mine is grown in fairly sandy soil and all I've ever done is given it manure.

Positive lorireid On Apr 28, 2005, lorireid wrote:

I planted this bulb at my mother's office in Andrews, SC, in 1989. It quietly multiplied, very unattended, surviving several yard maintenance "persons". After she passed away in Aug. of 2003, I noticed the abundant planting needed attention. I dug up the entire bed of less than 3 feet square, retrieving more than 35 bulbs and relocated them to Dayton, TN, in May of 2004. Not wanting to lose one bulb, I planted them all in containers and kept them indoors.

Most all large bulbs flowered, and I collected a seed pod. When the seed pod dried, I was amazed at the seed. Paper thin, and the size of a dime. I wondered if the seed would grow? I planted them indoors, under just a slight bit of soil and to my amazement, they sprouted and are still growing.

I planted 15-20 bulbs outdoors in the fall of 2004 in Dayton, TN and Brunswick, GA. They survived! The bulbs in Brunswick were blooming on April 12th.

Both the indoor and outdoor bulbs are multiplying, and after reading the information on this site about seed collection, I now know to plant all the seeds when and IF a pod forms, as they don't store well. This may explain why the seeds I planted this spring haven't grown?

I have shared many of the potted bulbs with friends and have MANY blooming indoors today. The bulbs outside are 5-8 inches and I expect a good show in 4-5 weeks.

Neutral nevadagdn On Mar 31, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I killed this plant. I put it in well-drained soil against a warm, protected South wall. It probably didn't get enough water. I'm still working out how to grow Hippeastrums (at least the hardy ones) successfully outside in my zone.

Positive SudieGoodman On Jul 12, 2004, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I found on old abandoned farm in Kirbyville, deep southeast Texas. We have hot, humid weather. Potted up in 8" pot during the winter of 2003, and had three beautiful red blooms in May 2004.

Now that I have information on this lovely beauty, I'll plant in landscape so it can better propagate.

Positive HJohnston On May 23, 2004, HJohnston from Memphis, TN wrote:

I live in an 1897 family home. Not sure who first planted these here, but dispite neglect over the years they keep coming back and multiply (but not invasive). They are easy to divide and a planting of single bulbs along a border will make a wonderul showing in only a few years. They last a week or more as cut flowers and even the unopened buds will continue to develope and open indoors. They are the highlight of our garden in May each year. The Memphis City Beautiful Commision has a theme of "PLant The Town Red" and these bright red lilies fit it perfectly!

Positive LouisianaSweetPea On Apr 11, 2004, LouisianaSweetPea from Mount Hermon, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

These lilies were buried under a huge, half-dead fig tree when I moved to this house. They survived. After removal of the tree, the lilies were exposed to the full, blazing afternoon southern sun (and mostly neglected). They survived.

I have ripped some of them out of the ground and thrown them in a spot where I wanted to plant them (but forgot to), and they rooted themselves and survived (but I do not find that they are invasive). They have also survived heat, drought, flooding, winter cold, summer sun, and partial shade.

Each year, they provide a lovely flush of bright-red blooms for our enjoyment. Although mine are not year-round bloomers, I find the foliage neat and attractive. And, since St. Joseph's Lilies are traditional New Orleans passalong plants, I love having them in my garden.

St. Joseph's Lilies are first on my list of "Plants You Can't Beat To Death With a Stick."

Positive Kaufmann On Aug 14, 2003, Kaufmann from GOD's Green Earth
United States (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant was already established in a northern exposure up against the foundation of my home when I moved here. The home is 7 years old. It is gorgeous throughout April/May with many blooms. Prior to this Summer it received no care, and survived the hot dry Summers of South Texas with no additional water. I would definitely classify as a Xeric plant. Wish I could find bulbs for sale.

Positive Terry On Jun 14, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

One of the most hardy Amaryllis, it was also among the very first hybrid amaryllis produced. Bred by a British watchmaker named Johnson in the late 1800s, it was a common heirloom plant found around abandoned homsteads and cemeteries, but very scarce in the trade.

Alabaster, Alabama
Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
Memphis, Tennessee
Smyrna, Tennessee
Woodlawn, Tennessee
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Broaddus, Texas
Bulverde, Texas
Desoto, Texas
Elgin, Texas
Enchanted Oaks, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Grapevine, Texas