Bluebill, Vase Vine, Leather Flower

Clematis viorna

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Species: viorna
» View all varieties of Clematis

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Flower Fragrance:

Bloom Shape:

Bloom Diameter:

Small - less than 2 inches (5 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Allentown, Pennsylvania

Barto, Pennsylvania

New Braunfels, Texas

On Oct 19, 2015, wakingdream from Allentown, PA wrote:

After many years of wishing for this plant, (and placing myself on a "waiting list" with an online vendor who after 2 years still did not fulfill my order), I found these vines offered and purchased 2 of them, just in case. Upon arrival, the boxed specimens were in distress and I was dubious about their survival. I placed them into my raised beds with rich soil, developed after years of adding compost. I did not feel they were thriving for the remaining months of the 2014 growing season, however. Light was half shade according to recommendations. Vines over-wintered there. Both sprouted in the spring and were not relocated. They stayed in place and bloomed very well, making lots of healthy, viable seeds which I hope to sprout. I will also consider moving the vines to a new spot to free ... read more

On May 27, 2012, Gascoigne from Shawnee Mission, KS (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very vigorous yet well behaved climbing vine. i bought three seedlings online last year 2011, and my biggest one one, on the north side of my house, is now 7', growing next to clematis 'Walenburg'. I love the texture of the feels just the way it dense styrofoam...and it floats! i'll take a pic soon....i just love this funky took me forever to find it, however, which is why i purchased 3 when i found case i killed one or two. None have died...all are thriving. I have the other two growing through a redbud, and the other through a Don Juan Rose.

On Aug 12, 2009, wetdogfarm from Eveleth, MN (Zone 3a) wrote:

No problem with survival for this species in zone 3a, N. Minnesota.

On Mar 11, 2007, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

A little more detail on germination from the 2nd edition of Norman C. Deno's book, Seed Germination Theory and Practice -

If you obtain the seed too late for fall sowing, sow in the dark at 70*F; germination may take about 3 months.

On Jun 14, 2003, vroomp from Marietta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I rescued this plant(actually I got 3) from a construction site in North Georgia where it grows naturally, although sparsely. Grown in full sun it can be treated just like a Jackmanii. Trim old growth in late winter as flowers appear on new growth. Once established, this vine produces flowers for about two months, Late April-June in Zone 7. Quite an agressive grower/climber it can take over a small arbor or trellis in one season.