Star Jasmine

Jasminum multiflorum

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Jasminum (JAZ-mih-num) (Info)
Species: multiflorum (mul-tih-FLOR-um) (Info)
Synonym:Jasminum pubescens

Aubrey, Texas

Midlothian, Texas

South Hill, Washington

On Jun 8, 2014, RexEdwardFairy from (Zone 10b) wrote:

I'm in Australia (in zone 11). I got one of these from our local hardware store about 8 months ago. It wasn't named and I only identified it the week it died. It lasted all through spring and summer, flowered profusely, seemed very happy in morning shade and midday & arvo Al's 511 and fed rhodo fert (and vinegar & water mix occasionally - my other jasmines LOVE that).... and then died a few weeks ago (late Autumn). I don't know what it died of - but it seemed like a root rot perhaps. Annoying really. I found the fragrance 'higher' and 'cleaner" than the sambacs, but nowhere near as strong. Will I replace it? Dunno. Cant' think what I'd do different next time round...

On Feb 22, 2013, coastalzonepush from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

this jasmine grows very quickly. the flowers are small and short lived and don't really have a fragrance, but, there are so many flowers produced that the shrub overall is beautiful.

i didn't want this specific jasmine, but i got it for such a bargain price that i couldn't say no.

On Oct 27, 2010, EBACHS99 from Archer, FL wrote:

In my area of Zone 8b, (west of Gainesville Florida) I find the plant to be marginally hardy as an evergreen.. It always comes back after being killed to the roots on a cold winter (mid- teens cold snap) My plant has little fragrance. It blooms in the Fall and Winter here

On Oct 15, 2009, cheryljm from Oakhurst, CA wrote:

Wonderfully sweet smell when this plant is in bloom. The info. says this plant needs full sun but I had it in full sun and it didn't do well, didn't grow and many yellow and brown leaves. So I moved it to a shady location and it is thriving, growing nicely and no new dead leaves. Zone 8a.

On Jun 7, 2008, mcdannells from Central Oregon, OR wrote:

We bought this plant 2 months or more ago and after having it in quarantine for a week or so moved it into the plant room.
There it bloomed for a couple weeks (it had white blooms when we bought it) and looks like it is taking a break?
We new nothing about this plant but for it's nice fragrance and the tea's.
Thus far it has new shoots and has grown at least a foot if not a little more.
Inside, in a container I fed it one time with plain old miracle grow, in indoor potting mix,temps are 80-90 (year round) and I mist everyday one time in morning once in the evening and the lights are 1000 w. sodium sunmaster with the digital ballast. The lights are on a 12/12 schedule.
I do have two portable fans (along with the electrical fan that is hooked up to the ... read more

On Jul 29, 2006, JLtheGreenthumb from Greenwell Springs, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

We have had a star jasmine planted in a bed for about 4 yrs. It really has not done much. It blooms during the summer, but also has a lot of yellow leaves. I have decided to move it to a better place, but don't know where. We live in Greenwell Springs, LA (near Baton Rouge/Zone 8b), it recieves full afternoon sun. I want to make the most of what could be a beautiful shrub. Does anyone have any suggestions?

On Apr 5, 2006, cottonfarm from Midlothian, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This has survived 6 years in Midlothian Texas. My neighbor really enjoys it more than me, as she gets the fragrance when she opens her kitchen windows. I have it on a cyclone fence with no protection. It does burn back with the freezes, but not much really. I prune maybe half of it back. I think it would be rampant if not for the freeze damage. I have a ph of 7 and very limy water on black clay.

On Nov 5, 2005, starkeeperskid from Oak Grove, MO wrote:

I received what I think is a Star Jasmine when my son passed away. It is a house plant. A tree that is now about 40 inches tall. I water it weekly and it has been blooming about every three weeks. (I was delighted to see it in full bloom and very fragrant on his birthday) It is thriving, in spite of me, and I certainly don't want anything to happen to it. It has lost a few leaves but otherwise appears healthy. I don't know if I should be feeding it with something. Please, anyone have any ideas? I'm new to Dave's Garden. Caught my eye because my son's name was Dave. I live in Missouri, USA.

On Sep 28, 2003, janoflamingo from Puyallup, WA wrote:

I bought 2 of these Star Jasmine plants for my husband's birthday last June. He transfered them to the ground in early July. They are both doing beautifully! The flowers are so fragrant. We have it planted right near the back door which is the most often used door. It's so nice to enjoy the fragrance as we go in and out of the house. I'm hoping for the best this winter! Washington State can get some snow in the winter so am hoping for very, very little this year!!!

On Aug 28, 2003, mpollard from Omaha, NE (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is my first year with this plant. My son bought it for me in Texas not knowing that it would not be hardy here in Omaha LOL! It is doing beautifully outdoors this summer; blooming from early May to present. It grows clusters of fragrant, white, star shaped flowers that only last a day or two to be replaced by another cluster. I'm hoping it will transition to the house OK this winter.

On Aug 10, 2003, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

A native of India, Star Jasmine is also known as Downy Jasmine. The white, clustered, star-shaped flowers appear nearly year-round here in Florida but are not as fragrant as other Jasmines.

Star Jasmine is an evergreen, branching vine that can be trained as a shrub, or as a spreading, vine-like shrub. It usually appears as an open, spreading, weeping mound, 5-10' tall and just as wide. The stems and leaves are covered with a downy pubescence (and hence the name Jasminum pubescens) that gives the plant an overall grayish-green appearance. The leaves are ovate and rounded at the base, up to 2" long, and opposite each other on the stem.

It is becoming more and more popular with
Landscapers for public areas as well as private homes.

For curi... read more

On Aug 10, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Jasmine, I think, is one plant anyone would love. An abundance of varieties with beautiful green leaves, delicate, dainty flowers & the most unforgettable fragrance. To me, the jasmine vines do have more fragrance than the bush-types but they're all worth adding to one's garden.

On Jun 16, 2003, Dinu from Mysore
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

Flowers are not as fragrant as the J.sambac. It shoots down suckers many feet away from the main plant where you will see a new plant growing. It is maintained as a shrub. It usually flowers in summer months.