PlantFiles: Cranbrook Paperbark
Melaleuca pustulata

Family: Myrtaceae (mir-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Melaleuca (me-luh-LOO-kuh) (Info)
Species: pustulata (pus-tew-LAY-tuh) (Info)

Pale Yellow

By kennedyh
Thumbnail #1 of Melaleuca pustulata by kennedyh

By kennedyh
Thumbnail #2 of Melaleuca pustulata by kennedyh

Positive kennedyh On Jun 16, 2003, kennedyh from Churchill, Victoria
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

This paperbark is quite rare in the wild, growing in a very limited area of Tasmania. It is a rounded shrub, covered in pale yellow flowers in the spring and having a delightful scent. I grew it from seed when I lived in Tasmania and when I moved to Victoria, I brought seed with me and have three shrubs up to 3 metres high flowering well each year and perfuming the air around them.
The name pustulata results from naming from dried herbarium specimens. The leaves have numerous oil-glands, and when dried, the leaf shrinks around these, leaving the oil-glands appearing as little pustules on the leaves. There are no pustules on the live leaves.