PlantFiles: Egyptian Star Cluster, Star Flower, Pentas
Pentas lanceolata 'Butterfly Red'

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Pentas (PEN-tass) (Info)
Species: lanceolata (lan-see-oh-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Butterfly Red

By Paulwhwest
Thumbnail #7 of Pentas lanceolata by Paulwhwest

Positive PratikN On Sep 18, 2012, PratikN from Vashi,New Mumbai
India wrote:

Yes,truly a low-maintainence,all the year flowering plant it is.I have a red -purple variety I bought 2 months ago and since then its foliage has grown enormously...flowers alternate week.They are basically shade tolerant plants so will thrive well in balconies as well ....They also provide a constant colour to ur garden and I've also seen butterflies visiting it the same day I shifted it from my balcony to the outside.This plant is nice to start with for beginners.Thumbs up!!!

Positive Don_Mader On Jan 28, 2006, Don_Mader from Victoria, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My penta is planted at the back of an annual flower garden. It has a southern exposure but is partly shaded. It blooms year round but heaviest from March thru October. Butterflies love it but haven't seen any hummers visiting it tho' I have several hummers that hang around.

Have had no problems with diseases or insects bothering it.

It did well even with the extreme heat through last summer.

I recommend it highly as a great low-maintenance shrub!

Positive artcons On Mar 24, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Easy to grow and a very attractive true red flower that butterflies love. However my pet cat liked these plants too. Whenever I would trim them and he was in the yard with me, he would jump into the bushes and rub around on the cut branches. It was just like a catnip reaction.
I have noticed the red variety from HD is not the same as my true red. It's slightly more purple than red and the HD variety does not attract butterflies (I have one of these too.) My new red Pentas was purchased last fall to replace others I lost in the hurricane last year. I had a difficult time finding the true red flower variety that I believe works best to attract butterflies. About two to three days after purchasing the plant, and while it was still in the nursery pot, I noticed caterpillars on the plant. These cats were totally new to me. Comparing them to what I found on the web, I think they were either Azaela Sphinx or Olive Angle Shades. At any rate, they totally devoured the plant in three days. If anybody has these type of cats on their red pentas, please let me know.
Art

Big Pine Key, Florida
Deltona, Florida
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)
Gainesville, Florida