Tomato 'Kellogg's Breakfast'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Kellogg's Breakfast

Omaha, Nebraska

Vineland, New Jersey

Espanola, New Mexico

Elba, New York

Raleigh, North Carolina (2 reports)

Cleveland, Ohio

Weyers Cave, Virginia

Richland, Washington

Middleton, Wisconsin

On May 3, 2015, Lucky66 from Lafayette, CO wrote:

I'm growing this for the second year with seeds I saved from last year. I only got 70% germination rate, which is low for the rate I get from seeds saved from other varieties, but the plants look good.

I'm in Boulder County, Colorado, and got a fantastic yield from vigorous plants last year. They were medium, large and extra large, with sliceable though not perfectly round fruit. I agree with the description of "meaty" and not watery. Mine had lots of sweet flavor and even the ones I froze made very tasty soup and sauce.

The plants were about 5' high with heavy fruit that needed support. I will continue to make room for these every year. I limit myself to 3 orange varieties, so this, along with Amana Orange and Golden Jubilee, makes the cut.

On Oct 15, 2013, TheButtermilkyWay from Raleigh, NC wrote:

Delicious yellow beefsteak tomato -- thrifty, robust plants. Mine bore relatively early, then someone else's landscapers ripped it out of the ground just as my main crop was coming in, drat them.

Regarding the single NEGATIVE review posted here, it seems IRRATIONAL to blame the plant for the weather and downrate it for not setting fruit in a heat wave of over 100 degrees.

I do not know of any tomato variety that will perform and set fruit under those circumstances. Maybe that person should grow prickly pears or something.

On Apr 4, 2013, mesimarja from minneapolis, mn
United States wrote:

I had trouble with seeding this tomato last year and had to reseed. Used the pack up this year and the weeny seedlings that came up just aren't robust enough to make it. Last year (2012) the second seeding produced a few viable plants and they were spectacular in both production and flavor, etc., despite a very hot summer in the Twin Cities area and little rain. Has anyone else experienced that the seeds for the KB tomato are less viable than other tomatoes? I grow mostly heirloom tomatoes and never have trouble seeding other varieties; Or maybe I was sold older seeds without knowing it ....?

On Jun 29, 2012, k09sa from Mead, CO wrote:

I live on the front range of the Colorado Rockies. We have had an unusually hot summer, temps over 100 degrees for several days and very dry. The kellog's breakfast tomato plant is huge and loaded with blossoms. But the plant won't set fruit. I googled the problem and came up with a response that with prolonged heat, it won't. Would suggest this tomato for folks that live in a cooler climate. Very disappointed.

On Jan 21, 2011, Californian from Fullerton, CA wrote:

I love that this tomato is not juicy, but instead is almost solid meat. That means no juice or jell dripping out of your sandwiches. I also like the way sun scald or decay does not spread through the whole tomato, just cut the bad part off and the rest is good. My Kellogg's Breakfast did better than the KBX I also planted. I will definitely plant this tomato again.

On Jan 9, 2010, hydroponicwizz wrote:

Grew this variety hydroponically last year. The results were nothing short of fantastic. This robust plant produced giant persimon orange fruit with one hitting 1.09kg (2.40 lbs) It was actually too big for one slice of bread as another member mentioned and had to cut the slice in half. Taste-wise, may be the nicest sweetest tomato I have ever had. Juicy beyond description and not as much seed as other beefstake types. One warning though, make sure your plants are well staked as these puppies get big and heavy.

On Sep 1, 2009, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

One of my favorite yellow tomatoes, big, juicy, fair yield, and it survived the late blight epidemic this year. Assorted pesky critters like it too, but don't bother it as much as red varieties.

On Aug 9, 2009, aspenbooboo41 from Whitehall, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

First time growing Kellogg's Breakfast and have to say this tomato lives up to the rave reviews ! First one picked was 1lb 5oz, a beautiful golden orange color inside and out, and oh-so tasty. Can't wait til the next one is ready to eat! Looks like the average size of the tomatoes is about 1lb or a little over. Some catfacing, but despite all the wet weather this year no cracking yet (I am picking when they start to blush though just to be safe). Not the most prolific plant in my patch, but with the fruits being so large it makes up for less production. I will grow this variety again for sure.

On Feb 3, 2009, Cleo1717 from Knoxville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

If I could only grow three tomatoes, this would be one of them. Amazingly sweet and complex flavor with gorgeous color. Not my most productive plant but it's reliable and worth planting, even in my small city lot. Would never be without it.

On Apr 23, 2008, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

A tomato I grow every year. Gorgeous orange color. Huge tomatoes. Very productive. Excellent flavor. Plant and fruit does get big so does need good staking.

On Jan 21, 2008, bmuller from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

We've had excellent luck here with 'Kellogg's Breakfast.' It is productive, delicious, hardy--by far the best yellow tomato we've grown.

On Sep 13, 2006, sonofgoom from East Jordan, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

This is my absolute favorite tomato! Amazing size, very high yields, and a dense, meaty juicy flavor that can't be beat. In my opinion, no other tomato matches this unique beauty in our garden. I will always grow this and highly recommend it!

On Sep 7, 2006, tropicalaria from Tri-Cities, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Robust, meaty tomato. The plant grows vigorously here, with a very sturdy vine and lots of large fruit. Excellent for eating fresh. Makes wonderful spaghetti sauce.

On Aug 1, 2006, dlnevins from Omaha, NE wrote:

I've found this plant to be a heavy yielder of large, strongly-flavored orange beefsteak tomatoes. The flavor is complex and quite intense, truly delicious. The fruits can be a bit misshapen, and I've seen some cracking at the stem end, but have had no problems with blossom end rot. It matures earlier than the other orange beefsteak I grow (Persimmon), but not as early as my standard red varieties. The plant is tough and has held up well in the heat. All in all, this one's a must-grow for me.

On Jan 6, 2006, Zeppy from Shenandoah Valley, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Lovely flavor; enormous fruit. Lots of catfacing but we don't mind that. Very vigorous vines.

Edited to add that, as seedlings, Kellogg's was very very runty: much smaller than the other cultivars I grew. I was told this was not unusual for this cultivar and that the problem would remedy itself at planting. Within two or three weeks, this cultivar had indeed reached the height/breadth of the other tomato plants.

On Oct 15, 2005, cottonpicker from Audubon, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I give it "Thumbs up!!"..... delicious, large size, sweet, no disease problems. A winner for taste!!! Will definitely grow again.

On Aug 9, 2005, hurono from Troy, OH wrote:

A terrific orange tomato. Our son is a chef, and Culinary Institute graduate, he was surprised and impressed by it as well. Much more flavorful than other orange toimatoes that I've tried. Grew easily, few blemishes, and none had blossom end rot which has been a problem in Ohio this year with the erratic rain due to near drought conditions.

On Jul 25, 2005, guessica from Brooklyn, NY wrote:

When I bought two organic Kellogg's Breakfast plants to be grown in pots on our rooftop in Brooklyn, I was pretty skeptical that they would work out. To my surprise, they thrived there, although the fruit are somewhat smaller and less plentiful than I imagine they'd be in the ground, they are amazingly flavorful and juicy. They totally exceeded my expectations for a yellow tomato, which normally seem sort of bland. Highly recommended!

On May 19, 2005, Jazzpunkin from Springfield, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is my favorite orange tomato. Lots of good flavor unlike many that are bland. Makes excellent spagetti sauce. It does tend to crack radially about the stem but I found that if you picked it while the shoulders were still green, you could avoid this and it didn't negatively impact the taste.
OOps..did I mention that these produce huge tomatoes? I had several 2-3 pounders. The slices were so large that they had to be quartered to make them small enough for sandwiches. yummy

On Jul 30, 2002, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

An American family heirloom from the Kellogg family of Michigan.

These deep gold monsters have a wonderful fresh taste that isn't bland at all.The texture is firm,not mushy, and it can cover a piece of bread with one slice.

They are a favorite in my garden and everyone I've given them to.