Winter-blooming Algerian Iris

Iris unguicularis

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Iris (EYE-ris) (Info)
Species: unguicularis (un-gwee-kew-LAIR-iss) (Info)

Extra early (EE)

Frisco, Texas

Anacortes, Washington

On Feb 24, 2015, andalepuesnz from Kimbolton
New Zealand wrote:

Lovely little thing, bringing winter cheer. But I've had it growing in the most arid conditions imaginable, both sunny and shady, and as long as the drainage is impeccable it thrives here in parts of New Zealand where the winter is cold (for us!). I've never had to water after the first few weeks, and it has formed huge, long-lived clumps for me.

On Jun 27, 2012, diggerslou from Anacortes, WA wrote:

Purchased at Seattle Flower and Garden Show in late 1990's and it has faithfully bloomed in November and March ever since. Finally dug the entire clump in May 2012 and tubers were crowded on top of one another 6" deep. Will not wait 12+ years to divide in the future ! Important to note: put it somewhere you will SEE it in November and March-this is a rugged plant to enjoy.

On Feb 6, 2010, KanapahaLEW from Alachua, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have 2-year-old clumps of this Iris in both the Herb and Bulb Gardens at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens (Gainesville FL). They have been throwing blooms since mid-December despite our having had a record period of frost. It is truly a gift to have this beautiful Winter color.

On Aug 14, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is such a tough plant and it is a bit surprising that such dainty flowers come from such a tough plant. My next door neighbours have two clumps and thay are totally neglected. No water, fetiliser or care. They also get full sun and don't flower but spread rapidly.There are others in our suburb that are huge and others that flower magnificantly. I just had to have one. I bought one at my local markets in flower for only $3 and it is very young. It is sending up 3 newbuds and is spreading already. I don't think it will flower again this winter but I hope it flowers next Winter. Such a tough, but lovely plant. pokerboy.

On Mar 1, 2004, sred98 from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I received this plant unexpectedly in a trade. I was not impressed. It looked a lot like a clump of liriope! I stuck it in a dry sandy spot in the yard and forgot about it. Suddenly, in November, it surprised me with a beautiful blossom! I didn't want to pick it, since it was the only bud, but I couldn't resist, since I had heard that only one blossom would perfume an entire room. It wasn't an exaggeration! It has a lovely honey/lemon/vanilla scent. By the next day, another had flower had bloomed! This kept up through the winter and snow, until it dropped into the teens. This plant didn't suffer any frostbite, and stayed evergreen. I am on the border of 6/7 (I tend to push the zones a bit). This is an incredible plant that's full of surprises! I hope it multiplies quickly!
... read more