Chickweed, Starweed, Star Chickweed, Passerina
Stellaria media

Family: Caryophyllaceae (kar-ree-oh-fil-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Stellaria (stell-AR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: media (MEED-ee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Alsine media

Not Applicable

Blooms all year

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Blytheville, Arkansas

Mc Kinney, Texas

Onancock, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

On Aug 13, 2012, Galomorro from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I am so very happy that I have a good amount of chickweed, finally, and that it keeps coming up. I'm very grateful for the ease of growth. I'm someone who has no choice but to be an indoor gardener (sunny windows, grow lights) and someone who's enthusiastic about all possible edible weeds, and chickweed is one of the queens of all of them. I appreciate everything I can read about nutritional facts re all edible weeds. It's far easier when I can pick my own at home rather than going out to look for it in the wood. Please continue to have more edible weeds facts! I cannot praise chickweed too much. Also, if there is any way at all I can order garlic mustard seeds from a seller in the U.S., please let me know. Thanks again for a great newsletter.

On Jan 27, 2010, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is a weed in my area. Easy to remove but when it grows, it's everywhere. It has a beautiful white star flower but it isn't pretty enough to be considered a respectable plant in my garden.

On Feb 22, 2009, imapigeon from Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Success? I wish I were LESS successful with this darn plant! It reseeds like crazy and engulfs everything in sight. As far as I'm concerned, it's a weed, and the only thing it's good for is "green" in my compost pile!

On Feb 18, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I will consider this weed on my list of 10 worst weeds - (chuckles) easy to pull out? Nooooooooo - they are actually one of the hardest weed to pull out. Know Why? They have very weak stems so when you pull on them only the upper section comes out of the ground leaving the roots behind and they are a pain to get rid of because the roots are so tiny and just as weak as the stems and cling to the soil particles. They loves shade and are more of a cool season plant even thought they will bloom all growing season, even in hot summers.

On Dec 27, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Chickweed, Starweed, Star Chickweed, Passerina Stellaria media
isnaturalized in Texas and other States and is considered an invasive plant in Texas.

On Oct 3, 2006, Sherlock_Holmes from Rife, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

"The Encyclopedia of Edible Plants of North America: Nature's Green Feast" by Francois Couplan, Ph.D. has this to say about Chickweed.

"S. media - introduced from Europe - is undoubtedly one of the best wild salads. Leaves and stems are tender and juicy with a delicate nutty flavor, and the plants are easy to gather in large quantities. Chickweed also makes an excellent potherb. The tiny seeds are also edible, but are tedious to gather.

In Japan, it is traditionally eaten in the spring with rice and other wild plants. It is also used for making tea.

Chickweed is known to contain vitamin C, minerals, a fixed oil, and some saponin. It is tonic, diuretic, expectorant, and slightly laxative."

"Edible Wild Plants of Eastern North... read more

On Jun 29, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

The best thing I can say for this little weed is that it is fairly easy to pull up. It grows so thick that other, harder to pull weeds are held back.