Chinese Trumpet Creeper, Trumpet Vine
Campsis grandiflora

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campsis (KAMP-sis) (Info)
Species: grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Bignonia grandiflora

Plano, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

Vancouver, Washington

On Apr 21, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I once bought a plant labeled Campsis grandiflora. Seven years later, when it finally came into bloom for the first time, I discovered that it was actually Campsis radicans.

I don't believe I could reliably distinguish the two based only on the information here in Plantfiles. I wonder how many of the comments here are about plants that are similarly misidentified?

Most reliable sources say this species is only hardy to Z7, and that it is much less aggressive than C. radicans. It is said not to rebloom.

On Aug 8, 2013, burien_gardener from Burien (SW Seattle), WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This beautiful, tropical-looking vine has been growing in my SW Seattle garden for 20+ years. Not one sucker. Not one, not never. Would like it to sucker so I could share as this version of Trumpet Vine is much more showy than the US native.

Perhaps mine has never suckered because I don't pamper it. Vigorous plants should NOT be pampered. It's planted under an eve on the south/sunny side of the house with other more xeric plants that can't stand winter wet. Watered infrequently during the growing season, most of the annual growth is killed back by cold because Seattle summers are too short and not hot enough for the wood to ripen completely.

I feel sorry for those who live in fear of it's willingness to clamp onto any surface with holdfasts (similarly to... read more

On Aug 8, 2011, woollenjazz from COS COB, CT wrote:

We have had this plant in the gardens of two of the houses we have lived in: One in Surrey, in the U.K. and one in Connecticut. We planted neither, and in both locations I would say that the brief beauty of the blooms does not make the plant worth having, because of the suckers it throws up. I wish it were easy to get rid of this invasive plant. Choose a pretty clematis instead, that is my advise!

On Apr 17, 2007, tropicsofohio from Hilliard, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

grow wildly in Ohio, seems to control itself here. Very pretty when in bloom but looks bad in winter. cut it back during the winter so you don't have to look at it, should grow back quickly. Pluck back the seedlings that are not wanted to prevent an out-of-control weed.

On Aug 31, 2004, Alkijim from Mount Vernon, WA wrote:

The plant's invasive growth can be controlled with regular pruning back to the basic shape. To grow it is to adopt a new pet that needs weekly nipping and cutting. The rewards are worth the effort.

On Aug 10, 2004, maphead from Vancouver, WA wrote:

This vine (Trumpet Vine Campsis grandiflora) appears to be closer to what we have in our SW Washington yard. I posted this note to the other vine board prior to learning of this breed.

IF you have info on how to Stem its growth PLEASE post. I need to abate its progess soon!

OUR STORY:
A mature red vine was one of the selling points of the house we purchased in '02. Hummers loved it and it was a big, shady beauty on the eastside of the house and garage.
Last year we had to dig the sucker out of the area surrounding the waste out-flow pipe where it knotted roots into the pipe to get nutrients and water. This year the remnants have shot up and I am concerned that the pipe will be blocked again soon since we are having another drought this year.... read more

On Jul 14, 2004, aviator8188 from Murphysboro, IL (Zone 7a) wrote:

Yes, it is highly invasive, but I just love it! It blooms continually from early June to early October here in zone 7a. It attracts many hummingbirds and adds a unique touch to a yard. It can be easily controlled by collecting the seed pods in the fall and by trimming it back in the spring. My vine usually grows about 6 feet per year. It looks great on any Trellis or fence!

On May 22, 2004, WickedVixn from Wayne, PA wrote:

It is pretty and attracts hummingbirds but is extremely invasive.

On Jul 26, 2003, kandee wrote:

We planted this vine in our backyard to attract the hummingbirds and because it is pretty. However, it has turned into a monster plant taking over our grape arbor, herb garden, shed, and is now starting into our neighbors yard. We have tried to pull it up, dig it up, but it has given us hundreds on new plants all over our small back yard. We want to totally eradicate these growing monsters, but we are organic and can't use anything that would be harmful to small animals or people.