PlantFiles: Species Orchid, Bamboo Orchid, Bird Orchid, Grass-Like Leaf Arundina
Arundina graminifolia

Family: Orchidaceae (or-kid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Arundina (a-run-DEE-nuh) (Info)
Species: graminifolia (gram-in-ee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Arundina affinis

Herbs

Pale Pink
Rose/Mauve

Blooms all year

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By jnana

Thumbnail #6 of Arundina graminifolia by kennedyh

By knibblet
Thumbnail #7 of Arundina graminifolia by knibblet

Positive Lyddiebugg On Apr 8, 2013, Lyddiebugg from Hollywood, FL wrote:

I first saw this plant while on vacation in Costa Rica. When I returned home to South Florida, I noticed my neighbor had one and has successully had it for more than 3 years! I'm looking forward to giving it a try...

Positive dongcs1 On Nov 25, 2010, dongcs1 wrote:

I acquired this plant in an 8 inch pot, about 3 years old at the time. I have had it for 3 years and it is now about 12 inches in diameter. It lives in the ground under the fronds of a palm. There is no special potting/growing medium. It is watered appx every 3 days along with the other ground orchids in that area. It is still in flower, but has never flowered prolifically because I have not been faithful with fertilizer. Wait'll next year. I plan to split it into two plants this year.
It is taken out of the ground and potted just before the first frost. I kept it in the garage with the outside temp at 25 F. It lives under the fronds of a palm tree in the ground and gets about 4 hours of sun AM and light dappled sun for the rest of the day. Temp has been as been as low as 32, but protected by the palm from frost. The pot is moved back outside when the temp is above 40.

Positive ramki On Nov 15, 2009, ramki from Seremban
Malaysia wrote:

I like to grow the bamboo orchids because they do not require much care, being a tropical country the sun and rain makes it easy to grow in the hills and lowlands. I have not encountered any pest attacks and the need for pesticides is virtually nil.They bloom all year round, makeing the garden beautiful.There are two other varieties, one with a whitish flower, the second one is called the stuby, suitable to grow in pots.

Neutral jasminebugli On Aug 8, 2006, jasminebugli from Jamshedpur
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

Hi!
Can i know some thing more about the bamboo orchid .
Thanks
Regards
Jasmine
jassy29@rediffmail.com

Negative EricInSF On Jul 26, 2005, EricInSF from San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Please do not plant this plant in a tropical area. It is self-fertile and is considered a noxious, invasive species. It is a pest in Hawaii for this reason.

It will even self-seed in a greenhouse and then you'll have dozens or hundreds of baby Arundinas to weed out of your other orchid pots.

Positive xyris On Jan 20, 2005, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This orchid is growing outdoors at least as far north as Leu Gardens, in Orlando, Florida. I am still not sure though, if this makes it hardy in zone 9b, or just for zones 10 and higher. It was in flower in Leu Gardens on December 3, 2004.

Positive fewinhibitions On Aug 15, 2004, fewinhibitions from La Crescenta, CA wrote:

I am planting bamboo orchids in the Los Angeles area this weekend. I will report back how they do here.
Thanks..

Positive knibblet On Jun 23, 2004, knibblet from lamma island
Hong Kong wrote:

This grows wild on the hillside above my house on Lamma Island, Hong Kong. Blooms all year round, especially in autumn and spring, spectacular amid the fresh green of the surrounding vegetation (mostly 5ft and below in height -so the plant has very little shade cover at all). The hillside has many small natural watercourses and a very sand-rich soil content ( I suspect also quite acid soil, though have no proof for this). Occasional hill fires due to carelessness on twice-yearly 'grave sweeping' festivals seem only to promote its growth. So far this is the only spot I have noticed bamboo orchid growing on this island, but a friend has had success transplanting one into a pot.

Positive foodiesleuth On May 24, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

Bamboo orchids grow wild in the old cane fields and along the sides of the roads all over the east side of the Big Island. In some areas they were planted purposely as cattle fodder!!

I could not believe that when I first came to Hawaii and would collect them by the side of the road to put in vases.....my son would tease me that I was robbing some cow of her food.

They develop little "sucker bulbs" along the stem which later will show some roots. These little sucker bulbs can be planted and new plants will grow. Delicate little blooms that last only one day, but one stem might have several buds that will continue blooming until all are spent.

Neutral vabren On May 23, 2004, vabren from Gainesville, FL wrote:

I live in North Central Florida (Gainesville), and grow this plant in a pot in a screened pool area. I bought it because I'm a bit of an orchid collector, and it has flowered for me every year (5 yrs.). I like it, but, for much of the year, it just looks like a pot of bamboo-like grass on my deck! Does anybody know if I can get away with planting it in the ground in a sheltered area here? Thanks.

Neutral Monocromatico On Jun 23, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Its called Bamboo Orchid because of the bamboo-like look of the leaves and stem. Its not a bamboo, but an orchid. The pseudobuld is stem-like, reaching up to 3m tall, with pleated, lanceolate, fibrous leaves. It likes warm places and full sun, but does very well in greehouses or half-shaded places. It also prefers constantly moist soil. You can plant it near pools and lakes. New pseudobulbs grow every year.

The flowers come on the tip of the pseudobulbs. They are pale pink, with a really pink labellum with yellow details. Each pseudobulb usualy gives one flower each time, but they bloom constantly one after another.

Apopka, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida
Cocoa, Florida
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Gainesville, Florida
Hollywood, Florida (2 reports)
Lake Wales, Florida
Loxahatchee, Florida
Malabar, Florida
North Palm Beach, Florida
Orlando, Florida (2 reports)
Palm Bay, Florida