PlantFiles: Silver Buffaloberry
Shepherdia argentea

Family: Elaeagnaceae
Genus: Shepherdia (shep-HER-dee-uh) (Info)
Species: argentea (ar-JEN-tee-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Elaeagnus argentea
Synonym:Hippophae argentea
Synonym:Lepargyrea argentea

Edible Fruits and Nuts
Groundcovers

Silver/Gray

Provides winter interest

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)
8.6 to 9.0 (strongly alkaline)

By ScottSLC

Thumbnail #3 of Shepherdia argentea by trilian15

By growin
Thumbnail #4 of Shepherdia argentea by growin

Neutral rosepetal2 On Aug 28, 2013, rosepetal2 from Danvers, MA wrote:

My side yard is 12x30' with my backyard fence on lower end, bounded by my home and neighboring home. The small area is somewhat secluded, narrow and sloped. Original owners of my property terraced the side yard and planted misc perennials. When property went vacant (owners transferred) the terrace garden was raided, everything from daylilies, small dlbe rose of sharon shrubs and landscape gravel - approx 1/3 from the area under the second story deck was removed. That part of property is not visible from the street or neighboring yards. When I first considering property to buy in early 2011, the side terrace garden was intact. When I closed 5 months later, mysteriously the adjoining yard has a large stand of daylilies, dlbe rose of sharon shrubs and gravel around several large bushes.

I planted 4 bare root Silver Buffaloberry shrubs to serve as screen between properties and for erosion control. The area is hard to get to and difficult to water/tend. So I'm hoping the Buffaloberries will help to redeem my vandalized side yard.

I've found these bushes to be slow to establish. they are leafed out but not putting out much growth. Our summer has been dry and perhaps my weekly waterings were not enough

Neutral art_n_garden On Jul 1, 2009, art_n_garden from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a native to Colorado, though when I grew it on a naturalized hillside in my backyard it failed to come back the following year. I gave very little supplemental water and no winter protection, so I'm sure that the weird winter we had did it in. Disappointing.

Neutral Joan On Apr 26, 2008, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

This large shrub is wildlife friendly, as it is ideal for cover and nesting. It also provides a good late winter food source.

It is susceptible to stem decay and branch canker.

Positive ScottSLC On Jun 3, 2004, ScottSLC from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

I grow this bush in my back yard in Salt Lake City, Utah. It has reached a height so far of about 20 feet. It is related to the Russian Olive, and looks somewhat similiar and also has thorns. The fruit is edible and not bad tasting either, although only about as large as a small pea, so I leave them for the birds.

Danvers, Massachusetts