Pink Bush Clover
Lespedeza thunbergii 'Gibraltar'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lespedeza (less-pe-DEEZ-a) (Info)
Species: thunbergii (thun-BERG-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Gibraltar

Blue-Green

Violet/Lavender

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Mystic, Connecticut

Memphis, Tennessee

Lexington, Virginia

Rockbridge Baths, Virginia

On Apr 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A beautiful, tough plant with no pests or diseases here, it puts on a spectacular show when in flower from late August into early October. Especially beautiful weeping down from the top of a retaining wall.

A fast grower, it reaches mature size in two seasons. It is very late to show signs of life in the spring, often not till June here, but then it makes up for lost time. It's best cut back close to the ground in early spring like a butterfly bush. Usually has some dieback but doesn't generally die back to the ground here in USDA Zone 6.

Established plants are very drought-tolerant, and they also tolerate partial shade. Mature size here in Massachusetts is no more than 6' x 6'

Should be grown far more often in the Northeast. This plant is inva... read more

On Nov 3, 2013, rememberme from Rego Park, NY wrote:

What a forgiving plant! Initially, I planted it under a full grown spruce, streching the "part sun" concept, as many beginners do; so it just stayed there, waiting for me to "grow up". When I did, a full year and a half later, it just shot up a full 4 feet between May and September. What a beauty! In Stillwater, NJ.

On Oct 9, 2013, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I bought a teeny tiny little plant in the spring and waited longer than I should have to plant it. I thought it might have died. Then after I planted it something (probably rabbits) was chewing it up, and I again thought it might croak. So it didn't do a whole lot through the summer but one day in mid-September I was surprised to see it was blooming--bright fuschia, and I do mean BRIGHT. Now a month later it is blooming and growing like crazy. It's small and immature at this point so I am using supports because the arching branches are rather weighed down by all the blossoms, and I want to show them off. But this is a really lovely and unusual plant.

On Oct 28, 2007, archie469 from Oriental, NC wrote:

I purchased this plant last year and love it! It has bloomed several times over the season, but the most blooms are in the fall when not many other perennials are flowering. It does need a big space, but will reward you greatly. I saw it first at the Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo, North Carolina.

On Sep 1, 2004, uofagirl from Orrville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

My neighbor bought this from Lowe's several years ago when it was more popular, and gave me a root division early May 2004. It is almost 5 feet tall September 1st zone 5/6. Unscented, but very delicate, exotic looking because of mounding stems like a weeping willow. I believe this is a member of the pea family. I am very pleased with it so far. Nice fall interest.