Trident Maple, Three-toothed Maple
Acer buergerianum

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Acer (AY-ser) (Info)
Species: buergerianum (bur-ger-ee-AY-num) (Info)
Synonym:Acer buergeranum

Warrenton, Virginia

positive
negative

On May 24, 2013, heckabore from Walnut Creek, CA wrote:

Mine was planted about 10 years ago and is still pretty skimpy. Not sure why--maybe it gets too much shade from nearby evergreens. It's the second-to-last plant (cotinus is last) in my garden to come out of dormancy. But the fall color is stupendous! A little blue-tinged red mixed in with bright red and orangey red. There is a really beautiful acer buergeranium in a nearby garden, and it gets a fair amount of shade, but it is much older than my tree so I am hoping that I just need to wait it out.

On Jun 24, 2012, Gracye from Warrenton, VA wrote:

I bought my 12' tall Trident Maple from the professional division of a local Nursery, they planted it, two years ago. It fit the bill for my lot. It is too soon to give a definitive yes or no, as it seems to be a slow grower. The one branch that was a planting casualty is still a "hole." Fall color was not that interesting - know better to see the actual tree in Fall finery before committing. It was pruned high and into a kinda triangle shape-not sure why, but all that I saw for sale were pruned this way (at more than one nursery).
This Spring has presented a pretty full set of leaves, and it is casting a nice shadow.
It is healthy, sturdy, and growing steadily, nice thick trunk.
I really like the shape of the leaves. Low maintenance, and affordable.

On Jun 20, 2011, daffodil40 from Clarkston, MI wrote:

We have actually had problems with our Trident Maple. We purchased it through a landscaper, who installed it four years ago. While it is leafing out a little more this year, it is a very misshaped tree. Almost no growth on west side. We have contacted the company several times and they did a little pruning and told us to be patient... "It will be beautiful someday". I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this issue with a Trident Maple.

On Mar 16, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Acer buergerianum TRIDENT MAPLE Dec (z6) (Bonsai)
Though uncommon in gardens, the rich-green, rather ivy-like, 3-lobed leaves of this small somewhat bushy tree make it well worth planting. Sun/Med

On Aug 11, 2003, nic5 wrote:

In my xeric yard this tree (2) is getting minimal water. They are well mulched and tolerating heat and sun up to 117 degrees. So far both trees are fairing well and have shown good growth in 15 months.