Creeping Lily Turf, Lilyturf, Monkey Grass 'Silver Dragon'

Liriope spicata

Family: Ruscaceae
Genus: Liriope (lir-RYE-oh-pee) (Info)
Species: spicata (spi-KAH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Silver Dragon

4.5 or below (very acidic)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Montgomery, Alabama

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania

Mc Lean, Virginia

On Oct 31, 2014, akcrafter from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

Great plants! I bought three bedraggled pots in October four years ago and put them at the shady edge of an arbor. This week I dug up three quarters of the dense six foot length that bordered the sidewalk and now have enough to make a very substantial four inch border along an additional dozen feet of sidewalk through the arbor and out in light shade/sun. I also put some along a fence in a hot, dry area and it is slowly establishing itself with absolutely no attention. The variegation is consistent wherever I place it. I'm ashamed to admit that some of it sat in a plastic bag for a couple of months before I put it back into the ground and it took a look around and dug in happily. It grows fast and is very easy to dig up as the roots are not deep and it breaks into small plugs if yo... read more

On Sep 15, 2014, j101 from Mc Lean, VA wrote:

For the first few years, I would rate the plant positively, but I decided to rate it negatively because of my experience in the last few years, to see if anyone knows anything about this. The plants were planted under willow oaks about 20 years ago and grew and spread nicely. After a number of years,as the willow oaks grew and provided more shade, we started getting some solid green leafed plants invading that were larger than the original plants and looked bad, and I was told the originals were probably reverting to green. At first, we just pulled out the solid green invaders, but then it became too much. I ripped them out and replanted with Jack Frost Brunnera, which didn't work at all, whether fungus or insects not sure. Now I'm thinking of replanting with Silver Dragon because i... read more

On Feb 19, 2009, mary_robin from Montgomery, AL wrote:

I am presently (mid Feb) cutting back, by hand I might add, a 60'+ long south facing bank of liriope spicata silver dragon. It was installed last May in pinestraw and now the pine straw is rather matted down. I am pulling a great deal of it away and off the bank as there are many little "heads" popping up thru the soil and desperately, I think, trying to reach the sun. This is labor intensive but it puts me in touch w/my plants. I have noticed that there are "rust spots" along some of the otherwise lovely variegated leaves. If anyone can tell me why this happens and what will prevent it in the future, I would be grateful.

On Jun 12, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

One tough groundcover; tolerates a lot of shade; striking sriped white/dark green varigation; reproduces new plants by runners; quickly forms a dense mat.

On Oct 12, 2005, AnaM149 from Casselberry, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This seems to take it all, cold, hot, wet drought. Wow and it still looks good. I noticed that the ones in the shade are not as varigated, though. I am not sure why it is called CREEPING lily turn, because mine has stayed in a nice clump for years. It is used a lot in landscaping around here, but it does give some nice fluffiness to borders.