Hybrid Tea, Florists Rose 'Black Magic'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Magic
Additional cultivar information:(PP10650; New Generation Roses Collection; aka TANkalcig)
Hybridized by Evers
Registered or introduced: 1997

Hybrid Tea

Dark red (dr)

Bloom Shape:

Flower Fragrance:

Slightly Fragrant

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Other Details:

Resistant to mildew

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Charlotte, North Carolina

Hilliard, Ohio

Norman, Oklahoma

On Dec 7, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I have two Black Magics in my garden. They don't like Wisconsin winters, even when boxed up and buried in ground, and in the spring only a few inches at the bottom are alive. But I like the flower. It is a very dark, rich red in my garden, and the blooms last long both in the garden and in the vase: a week or more in the garden, unless it is very hot, and it holds its color and does not fade out. The growth habit is standard hybrid tea: tall and gangly, with only a few blooms at a time.

It seems susceptible to black spot in my garden, but I spray weekly for black spot and so it is kept in control. In my experience, it is not fragrant. But if you can get several of them, it makes a gorgeous, long-lasting bouquet in a vase.

On Jun 27, 2010, litisk from Gold Canyon, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant produces beautiful big dark red/maroon blooms. The blooms themselves are very velvety soft. The petals are a little stiff and not as pliable as usual petals. There is no real fragrance that I can smell but the blooms are very nice and seem to stay open a long time on the plant. I would definitely buy this plant again.

On Jun 24, 2008, HiDesertGirl from Reno, NV wrote:

This rose is gorgeous. Deep, velvety red blooms. I live in Nevada where winters can be rough; very dry and windy, so I am wary of grafted root roses. Although this rose is sheltered, it does get some weather and wind--still performs! I do hope it gets to six feet but here plants are more stunted.

On Apr 17, 2007, amarantha00 from San Bernardino, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful velvety color - this is my very favorite cutting rose. Comes on a very prolific bush too.

On Sep 25, 2005, bkgardens from Norman, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Beautiful deep red blooms! A great cutting rose! Highly reccommend!

On Mar 9, 2004, ctowles from Panama City, FL wrote:

I love this rose!! It is one of my favorites. Although I seem to have minature-ized it. I had to transplant and in doing so the blooms are now only about the size of a 50 cent piece. But it is still one of the most eye catching in my yard.