PlantFiles: Crossvine, Cross-Vine, Trumpet Flower
Bignonia capreolata 'Tangerine Beauty'

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bignonia (big-NO-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: capreolata (kap-ree-oh-LAH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Tangerine Beauty

Thumbnail #6 of Bignonia capreolata by frostweed

By catnip_3
Thumbnail #7 of Bignonia capreolata by catnip_3

Positive Lovehum On May 13, 2014, Lovehum from (Zone 7b) wrote:

I only have a little experience with this plant but I'm quite fond of it. I've never seen it sold locally. I got it via mail order from oyveygardens via ebay. It arrived with tons of buds, blooming now and sending out wonderful new growth on top. I'm hoping it will survive the wicked winters we've been having lately. The blooms darken into deeper hues as they age. Very pretty.

Positive BonnieGardens On Mar 23, 2014, BonnieGardens from Clermont, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very easy grower but hasn't spread anywhere but on the fence I planted in near. Been in a few years and just now blossoming beautifully. Thanks to a gal on DG I now know what I have and love it.

Positive LeslieT On Jul 24, 2012, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

This is a really great, non-invasive vine for my Houston-area garden. It has remained within bounds for nearly 20 years. It blooms when hummingbirds are migrating.

Neutral penpen On Jun 13, 2011, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have one vine that was purchased . It had a few blooms the first year and several more the 2nd year. The third year it completely covered my arbor but didn't bloom. This spring (year 4), I trimmed it back and it has covered half the arbor already with new growth but did not bloom again this year. I also have two more out back on an arbor that were started from seed. The oldest one (3 yrs. old) has climbed to the top of that arbor already this spring and the 2nd seed grown vine is only going into its second season and just beginning to grow. Does anyone know how long it takes for this vine to bloom from seed? I am not sure how old the original purchased plant was when I got it but since it bloomed the first two years, I would have thought it would have bloomed the last 2 yrs. The purchased vine has the yellow flowers with the red throat and is planted in a southern exposure but it does get some shade in mid afternoon due to position of the sun. The other two may be Tangerine Beauty seeds but will have to wait until they finally bloom the first time before I see what color the flower actually is.

Neutral janiemae1 On May 29, 2010, janiemae1 from Crane, TX wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions please. I have three of these vines in our courtyard. This is their second year. They came out, bloomed, now they look awful. Yellowing, and just no doing anything, except looking ragged and sickly. Help. I dont want to loose these.
thanks

Neutral eurotwelve On May 2, 2010, eurotwelve from Seattle, WA wrote:

Planted this in a pot on my patio next to a trellis. It immediately took off and grew up to 12' tall at the tallest point. Since then, it hasn't done much. Most springs it loses a majority of its leaves, and we only get one small batch of pretty ugly flowers. This is after two years being in the pot.

Hopefully it's just a problem of not enough water in the summer, but a Seattle winter should do a fine job keeping it wet... wish we had better results.

Positive serpent9 On Feb 7, 2010, serpent9 from Millington, TN wrote:

Crossvine leaves are a safe, effective substitute for Ginseng

Positive jazzy1okc On Aug 28, 2009, jazzy1okc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I have this vine growing on 1 of 2 trellises that face west and only receive afternoon sun. The foliage cover is thick but very tidy. Over the past 3 years, it has grown up and over the top of an ugly metal shed and consistently outgrows and outblooms the purple leaved honeysuckle growing on the other trellis. Both vines stay green all winter. Before planting, I dug in plenty of compost which I refresh in spring and fall. This may be why it doesn't need constant watering. Once a week in 100+ temps does it. I also give it a shot of organic evergreen fertilizer in early spring and fall and a little liquid acid plant fertilizer after each flush of blooms. This year, a painted bunting stripped the petals off the first flush of blossoms, presumably to get at the nectar, but he hasn't been back since. The vine reblooms about four times a summer in my yard.

Positive ML42 On May 25, 2009, ML42 from Indian Trail, NC wrote:

This vine takes a couple of growing seasons to truly take off, but it's worth the wait. I've purchased this plant from Wayside Gardens and Carroll Gardens. Both sent high quality plants.

Positive DATURA12 On Feb 16, 2009, DATURA12 from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is a real winner in my garden. You can also propogate this plant by pegging and cuttings.

Neutral outdoorlover On Apr 22, 2008, outdoorlover from Enid, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

I planted this plant in the late summer of 2006 and it has only had one small bloom since then. It has never been cut back and the vine has grown vigorously since being planted. Maybe it is still getting established??? I would like to see some of those beautiful blooms!

Positive stephanotis On Mar 20, 2008, stephanotis from Queen Creek, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought this vine as a rooted cutting sometime in Fall 2006, and it didn't do much until the following Summer when it took off growing up the stucco column it was up against. There was only one bloom at the very base of the plant, and I was pretty disappointed, especially since there was about 10 feet of vertical topgrowth. It has been in a pot this whole time, and I had to move it from its spot, so I asked alot of questions about cutting it down, moving to another exposure, etc. Another Fall and Winter has come and gone since I cut it down to about 2 1/2', and now that Spring is here there is more new growth and lots of buds. What I did notice, and what nobody told me, is that this vine only blooms on old growth, so everywhere below where I trimmed is covered with fat buds, and nothing but leaves growing on the new twiners. That is also why in 10' of growth last year, there was only one bloom on the whole shebang.

Okay, growing conditions: this baby will grow anywhere. 95% of the time I have had it it's been under the eaves of the patio, getting only a.m. sun, and then late afternoon sun. I watered it every other day (more when it was very, very hot), fed it a complete fertilizer whenever I remembered to (probably once a month or so), and made sure it never completely dried out. It is now out in full sun, still in a pot, waiting for a permanent home in the ground. I will probably put it in a southern exposure with late afternoon shade, and let it grow up a rock column. It attaches itself to the growing surface with little sticky pads, much like an ivy does. It didn't do any damage when I pulled it off the stucco, but I had read that it was capable of surface damage. There was quite alot of leaf loss this winter, which I don't think it did last winter. I don't know if that was in response to the harsh haircut I gave it, or from the cold. I am interested to see how rootbound the vine is when I take it out of its pot.

Positive RichNV On Nov 7, 2007, RichNV from Henderson, NV wrote:

This was the first year that I saw this plant at the nursery, so I planted 2 of them this Spring on a south-facing wall. The plants had many flowers in the Spring which were gone by June, then survived the hot desert summer well. Now in early November, flowers have started to appear again. Looks like it will stay green all winter here. We'll see how it handles the cold.

Positive Lily_love On Apr 5, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a slow vine to get established, but once it does... Oh Boys! What a show it'd reward one's patience. The blosoms are abundant, they almost cover all the leaves around them. Invasiveness? Here on zone 7b. I've seen no scattered seedlings in the area in the past 5 years. It's very vigorous grower. It's a triple B's: Big, Beautiful, and Bold. Bloom are long lasting as well. Makes that quadriple B's

Trussville, Alabama
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Owings, Maryland
Eupora, Mississippi
Ballwin, Missouri
Henderson, Nevada (2 reports)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Clarksville, Tennessee
Knoxville, Tennessee
Alice, Texas
Allen, Texas
Arlington, Texas (2 reports)
Atlanta, Texas
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Bellaire, Texas
Bryan, Texas
Dallas, Texas (2 reports)
Desoto, Texas
Fate, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Georgetown, Texas
Jacksonville, Texas
La Porte, Texas
Mc Kinney, Texas
Midlothian, Texas
Missouri City, Texas
Plano, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Tyler, Texas