PlantFiles: Crossvine, Cross-Vine, Cross Vine, Trumpet Flower
Bignonia capreolata 'Jekyll'

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bignonia (big-NO-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: capreolata (kap-ree-oh-LAH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Jekyll

Thumbnail #3 of Bignonia capreolata by JaxFlaGardener

Thumbnail #4 of Bignonia capreolata by JaxFlaGardener

By Beach_Barbie
Thumbnail #5 of Bignonia capreolata by Beach_Barbie

Positive ennarose On Oct 22, 2010, ennarose from Wichita Falls, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have two crossvine planted about three feet apart. Evergreen. One is red with a darker red inside the trumpet-shaped flower. The other is yellow with burgundy red inside. ( I think it is called Tangerine Beauty.) The major bloom is in early spring, profusely covering the vines. We get sporadic blooms throughout the summer and early fall.
Drought tolerant, but blooms best with deep drinks of water. No insect or disease issues.
Requires strong support. I highly recommend this beautiful native vine. I consider this a very under used plant.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Mar 6, 2006, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've been growing this 'Jekyll' variety of Cross Vine for about 3 years and it has now covered the trellis on which I planted it. It is interesting that, prior to providing a support on which it could grow, it sat mostly dormant and stunted for about the first year. Once it had something to latch onto, it shot up and spread profusely.

I have been hoping it would produce some runners or seedlings that I could spread to other areas of my garden, but, thus far, I've not been able to propagate it in any way.

Edited to add: The past record cold temperatures of low 20s F for a period of about two weeks in the winter of 2009 seems to have inspired the 'Jekyll' Cross Vine to flower more profusely than ever before. As shown in the photos, it is a cascading wash of orange with flowers nearly covering the entire vine. It retained its leaves in the unusually cold weather and also bears up well throughout our hot, humid summers.

Jeremy