PlantFiles: Variegated Siberian Bugloss, False Forget-Me-Not
Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost'

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Brunnera (BROO-ner-uh) (Info)
Species: macrophylla (mak-roh-FIL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Jack Frost
Additional cultivar information: (PP13859)
Hybridized by Walters; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2001

By goswimmin
Thumbnail #6 of Brunnera macrophylla by goswimmin

Thumbnail #7 of Brunnera macrophylla by Happenstance

Neutral BoPo On Jun 11, 2013, BoPo from Milwaukee, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

The first couple of years here, Jack Frost did pretty well in a shady but open area next to my garage. Really an attractive plant, but then petered out on me a couple years later until they never grew back. Unsure why as this is an area where my hostas thrived and grew monstrous in a matter of a few years.

Zone 5, rich black compact soil, clayish maybe 18" deep.

If you can grow these, they're definitely worth it. Stunning next to purple leaf sandcherries or japanese fernleaf red maples. I suspect they prefer an evenly moist soil.

Positive emmaex On Mar 10, 2013, emmaex from Bordelonville, LA wrote:

I have grown this beautiful plant successfully for two years in central Louisiana. It has survived the Louisiana summers without apparent stress. I think the location is key to the plant thriving. It is planted in full shade with a northern exposure heavily mulched with pine straw.

Negative echinaceamaniac On Apr 9, 2012, echinaceamaniac from (Clint) Medina, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

It can't take the heat here. I have tried 4 plants and not one has survived. They should stop selling these in the southern states. It is a beautiful plant though when it is alive. However, this plant also attracts foliar nemotodes. This is a plant that can't tolerate hot summers. It will go dormant in the summer leaving empty spots.

Positive Kat88 On Mar 5, 2012, Kat88 from Atkinson, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had four Jack Frost Brunneras for about 3 years now. Wonderful plants !! I have them along my front walkway, in part sun from morning til about noon, then they have afternoon shade. I don't need to start watering them until about June , but since I plant annual (Elfin Violet) impatiens in the same bed with them, I just water them all at the same time. I've also found if I cut back the flower stems right after the first bloom, I'll get a few more flowers again around August !! They are one of my absolute favorite perennials !!

Positive RabbitSoup On Apr 9, 2011, RabbitSoup from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

Does very well in morning sun, afternoon shade. The foliage is stunning all season long, the blooms are just a nice bonus. They did so well the first year that I was able to divide and share. They look like you fussed over them, but no fussing is required. Only wish I had room for more.

Positive kentstar On Apr 16, 2010, kentstar from Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

The perfect perennial for me! Love it! What more needs to be said?

Positive bonehead On Nov 19, 2009, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

A stunning plant for the shade, with dainty true blue flowers to boot. I got a small start from my sister and it filled in quite well the first season.

Positive anelson77 On May 20, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

I don't know where this plant has been all my life. I tried it out in a damp, shady spot where I was having trouble growing non weedy plants. It has spread into a nice sized patch already. I love both the foliage and the forget me not flowers (but without forget me not weediness and mildew)

Positive Kubileya On May 31, 2008, Kubileya from Laurel, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is the second year in my garden for 'Jack Frost.' The silvery foliage and bright blue flowers are absolutely beautiful and really light up their corner of the garden. It needs constant, even moisture. Letting it dry out leads to brown, crispy spots on the leaves (I admit I've done that once or twice).

Positive a5footsea On Dec 22, 2007, a5footsea from North Vancouver, BC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is one of my favourite perennials for shady areas. Their bright blue flowers bloom reliably, even in deep shade. I have several and all are now more than 36 inches wide after 3 seasons. They look great beside blue Hostas, Dicentra spectabilis "Gold Heart" and the orange/golden Heucheras.

Positive Bellisgirl On Feb 8, 2007, Bellisgirl from Spokane, WA wrote:

I love this plant! This will be my third year growing it. I got a start of it from my neighbor. At first I thought it might be hard to grow and need constant care, but its actually quite the opposite! It seems to thrive under little or no care. It does need well-drained and perpetually moist soil though. But the soil is not very rich. Mine is in almost full shade. The leaves are gorgeous, and liven up the gloomiest of shade gardens. Has lovely blue forget-me-not like flowers in the spring. Love it!

Positive Marilynbeth On Nov 21, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

I bought two plants last Spring and I love them! Beautiful plant!

Positive lovedirtynails On Jun 12, 2006, lovedirtynails from Portland, OR wrote:

This plant is thriving in full shade on the north side of my house.

Positive SongsofJoy On Jun 8, 2006, SongsofJoy from New Hampshire, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Love this plant. Bought three last year and they just finished flowering. Everyone who saw it in bloom commented on how pretty it is. Looking for more, but it does not seem to be readily available at local nurseries.

Positive kooger On Apr 19, 2005, kooger from Oostburg, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Planted this one last spring and it didn't get as large as I thought it would but I was delighted to see it did not winter-kill. I'm going to try water it more often this summer.

Positive Joan On Dec 29, 2004, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is my first year with the Jack Frost Brunnera, but it did really well. I have it planted in a shady spot near an evergreen tree, and it's very happy.

Additional info added to this note 1-21-06:
Plant will produce highly variable self-sown seedlings. Green seedlings should be weeded to prevent them from taking over.

Positive doss On Nov 13, 2004, doss from Stanford, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is the first year for Jack Frost in my garden. It is in a very dark corner under redwood trees, next to ferns, ajuga, etc. It just lights up that corner so your eye is drawn to a beautiful place in the garden that might otherwise be lost.

Jack Frost grows in the shadiest part of my garden and it's color makes it a highlight in the shadows. I grew three to see how they would do and I'm buying more. Here it was only dormant about a month. Highly recommended.

This perennial plant was discovered at Walters Gardens in Zeeland, Michigan USA and recently won First Prize at Plantarium in Holland for Best New Perennial of the Year.

It was originally spotted in a flat (tray) of Brunnera m. 'Langtrees' and has large heart-shaped leaves with the veins highlighted in silver making this sport very distinct.

Brunnera 'Jack Frost' makes a clump 18 inches wide of rounded frosty looking silver leaves and is topped with tiny clusters of clear blue flowers in early spring and prefers moist, rich soils to grow the best plants.

Positive Happenstance On Aug 28, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Slow grower, but has held up well with more sun than recommended and seemed not to mind the 3 weeks of 100+ temps.

May 2004 - The large showy leaves return as the bloom cycle winds down.

Calistoga, California
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Holland, Michigan
Lincoln Park, Michigan
Royal Oak, Michigan
Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)
Carson City, Nevada
Greenfield, New Hampshire
Munsonville, New Hampshire
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Clinton Corners, New York
Hudson, New York
Belfield, North Dakota
Cleveland, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio (2 reports)
Coshocton, Ohio
Staunton, Virginia
Bellingham, Washington
Highland, Washington
Kirkland, Washington
Langley, Washington (2 reports)
Mountlake Terrace, Washington