Variegated Yellow Loosestrife, Circle Flower
Lysimachia punctata 'Alexander'

Family: Primulaceae
Genus: Lysimachia (ly-si-MAK-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: punctata (punk-TAH-tah) (Info)
Cultivar: Alexander

Fanwood, New Jersey

Whitehouse Station, New Jersey

West Islip, New York

Fargo, North Dakota

Cincinnati, Ohio (2 reports)

Glouster, Ohio

Orchards, Washington

Marathon, Wisconsin

Muscoda, Wisconsin

On Oct 27, 2013, Rockguy1 from Calgary

I have this in a sunny but wet part of my garden, and it's done very well, about 2 feet tall with a three foot spread. I wouldn't exactly call it invasive. It spreads a few inches further out each year but in a very orderly way, and it's easy to dig up unwanted shoots if you're so inclined. The foliage and flowers are very attractive and it has a long blooming period.

On Jul 6, 2012, firstgirl2 from Weaverville, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I planted this in a heavy clay section of my back yard in Oberlin, Ohio. I have been searching for it ever since we moved to North Carolina, because it is the only perennial I ever had that would tolerated standing in water and still grow. It was perfect for that site, which had been used as a dumping ground for red clay bricks. Nothing else grew there. I thought I would have to put a container bed there, just stuck the loosestrife in the ground to hold the place as a marker until I could afford the new bed, etc. But it looked great. The bright yellow held the eye, as did the variegated leaves. Came back three years in a row( until we moved) although two were the coldest winters in Ohio history. It might be invasive down here, but not up there in those conditions. The variegated l... read more

On Feb 27, 2012, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

After three years the clumps grew smaller despite my efforts to encourage the plant to spread. I've had great success rooting stems of various plants by burying all but the tip in the soil while still attached to the parent. This did not work for the loosestrife alexander. I bought new plants and they didn't last the winter. So I give up. A very pretty plant but not a strong performer for me.

On Apr 6, 2010, ParkCottage from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

This plant and its plain counterpart is attractive any time in its gorwing season, BUT it is an agressive invasive. I thought I could keep it controlled, but it is relentless. I would not plant again, and am going to attempt to remove completely this year. Would advise container planting only.

On Jun 25, 2006, charlenenj from Fanwood, NJ wrote:

This plant is beautiful even without the flowers. The shape and variagation is stunning. For now I'm container-growing but because it looks good all the time, I'm thinking of adding it to my front bed and keeping an eye on its spread.

On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

From the time 'Alexander' emerges in spring with hints of pink and purple to the time it dies back in fall, it is beautiful. I, too, have it in a moist, somewhat shady area, and it thrives. My information says it is hardy in zones 3-9. Perhaps it is just with certain sources, but some plants have a tendency to revert to green quickly.

This is a patented plant.

On Jul 30, 2005, julie88 from Muscoda, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I bought a few starts of 'Alexander' in the spring of 2004. I planted in fairly dense shade where they survived...but just barely. This spring I moved them to a brighter location where they would get a little more attention. They've snapped out of their doldrums nicely and may even bloom a bit for me this year.

One problem that I've had with the plant is that it seems to lose it's variegation as the plant matures. But since it *does* grow where I've planted it, I've no intention of pruning out the reverted stems. :-)

Definitely a nice plant!
~julie~

On Apr 23, 2005, ArianesGrandma from Yorkville, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is an upright perennial variety that offers numerous flowers on each tall, elegant stalk, along with interesting, variegated foliage.
It's charming golden yellow flowers borne up the stems in the axils of the leaves.
Attractive foliage variegated in cream and green. Occasional pink highlights (mine has pink all over it now) ~ Very Pretty & Unique ~ Grows well in any soil

On Jul 5, 2004, pstruchy from Fargo, ND (Zone 3b) wrote:

I planted this in clay soil approximately 4 years ago in zone 3b. It is planted on the east side of the house which gets about 6 hours of morning sun.

It blooms from early to mid summer with extremely bright yellow flowers. When not in bloom, the variegated foliage looks nice. I do shear back the foliage a little after flowering just to tidy the plant up a bit.

My plant has quickly matured to a nice size. Next year I will be dividing it to control its size.

On Apr 21, 2004, Magazinewriter from Bloomfield Hills, MI wrote:

What a great plant! Although your first correspondent noted that this plant grows in the hot sun, I have had success in the wet shade, in the same bed as astilbe.
It is ridiculously easy to divide -- just take your shovel and chop some off, like hosta.
Variegated loosestrife comes up as red nodules in the spring, about the same time as the astilbe. The leaves soon change to a yellowish-white, and then change yet again to green dappled with yellowish white.
The plant flowers in midsummer. I suppose it flowers more heavily when it's in the sun, but so what -- I get some flowers and I love the airy look of the leaves. I am dividing it to use as a groundcover under trees -- it's a nice change from pachysandra and hosta.

On Mar 30, 2004, Illinois_Garden from Fox River Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This prolific plant seems to like the hot, dry bed I've planted it in. It doesn't seem to suffer in late summer when watering is necessary, and it's tripled in size from last year, the first year I had it as a cutting from a friend.