PlantFiles: Dichondra, Kidneyweed
Dichondra argentea 'Silver Falls'

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dichondra (dy-KON-druh) (Info)
Species: argentea (ar-JEN-tee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Silver Falls

Synonym:Dichondra repens

Groundcovers

Pale Green
Inconspicuous/none

Silver/Gray

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Thumbnail #6 of Dichondra argentea by Kell

By Kell
Thumbnail #7 of Dichondra argentea by Kell

Positive ransom3 On Jun 24, 2013, ransom3 from Zephyrhills, FL wrote:

I grew this plant from seed. What an interesting experience. In truth, it is actually a primitive morning glory. My seedlings grew so very slowly at first, then accelerated, producing its beautiful, dramatic creeping vines. It is a perennial in hot steamy Florida, but I advise moving it into light shade in early June. I put it back in the sun come early October.

Neutral pianoms On Apr 13, 2013, pianoms from Oak Ridge, TN wrote:

I really don't know yet.

Positive DLundy On Aug 26, 2012, DLundy from Parkdale, MO wrote:

I'm a fairly novice gardener in the Kansas City area, but love tinkering with new plants I see at the nurseries in the spring. I found the Dichondra while looking for ground cover for a particularly troublesome patch of garden at my new house (very rocky, poor soil, intermittent sun, etc.). I had no expectations, really, just experimenting and hoping. Well, it worked out well beyond my hopes. This plant has thrived, spreading over a large area (even though it never made blooms of any sort) in a graceful, gorgeous way. It wound around neighboring plants I had in the ground about 2-3 feet from it (Supertunias, Dianthus, Dusty Miller, Portulaca, etc.) without disturbing anything, and this one red-leafed plant I bought (can't remember the name) inadvertently became quite the centerpiece, beautifully framed by the contrasting colors of the Dichondra. I don't know if I'll have luck with trying to bring any of it inside over the winter (I have historically awful luck with house plants, versus wonderful luck with any flower OUTside), but I'll definitely be planting tons of these next year. Love them!

Positive JohnnyK On Jun 26, 2012, JohnnyK from Lockwood, NY wrote:

I LOVE THIS PLANT!!! I first got it last summer (Zone 5 Elmira, NY area) and put it in a 3' tall "vase" ... urn? ... in the middle of my terrace and it looked like a new water feature. I now have the same set up with a hanging basket behind the urn so it looks like the plant is "pouring" into this tall urn and then overflowing down the sides. Next year I'm going to go crazy witht his stuff!!!

Positive cecille On Aug 10, 2010, cecille from Abbotsford, WI wrote:

Bought this gorgeous plant as a little bitty cutting, its oudoors in a hanging basket and now around 4ft long. Does anyone know if this plant will survive indoors in a sunroom during winter with flueresant (cant spell) lights, also have indoor pond which creates some moisture. Just hate the thought of losing this plant and starting over.

Positive riddler On May 9, 2010, riddler from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

I grew my Dichondra 'Silver Falls' from seed and at first it was a slow grower. Then suddenly it just took off in its pot and now has strands that are two or three feet long. I keep it on the south side of my house where it gets a few hours of sun each day. I don't think it requires much care, but it's hard to tell because I have other needier plants surrounding the Dichondra, and when those plants look thirsty I water them all. Next I'll try planting it as a ground cover in a shady area of my yard and see what happens.

Positive marasri On Oct 12, 2009, marasri from Dripping Springs, TX wrote:

I use it in the ground as a ground cover around my green goblet agaves and it spills over a rock wall very nicely. It gets full sun in a sandy mix of amended limestone soil. It got NO watering during a period of 69 days of above 100 , mostly no rain and it did fine. When the rain hit it just went bonkers and so did I.

Positive SCNewbie On Jul 29, 2008, SCNewbie from Anderson, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I absolutely love this plant! I've grown it in containers for the last couple of years and although it can be slow to start, it gets going really well with the heat of summer. By summer's end it'll be nearly 6 ft long. I love running my fingers thru the strands - it's soft & feels almost like hair.

Positive staceysmom On Jul 29, 2008, staceysmom from (GayLynn) Appleton, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love adding this plant to my hanging baskets. It drapes over the sides so nicely and adds a nice flowing soft touch. I have grown it in full shade and in full sun. Where ever it touches the soil it will root. Very easy to grow.

Positive stephanotis On Sep 28, 2006, stephanotis from Queen Creek, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

Have never had any luck with this plant in containers in Phoenix, AZ area, but it grows nearly out of control when it's in the ground. Have never had an issue with it burning up in the heat or with freezing in cold temps. It is, however, yummy to the gophers, and they will pull it all the way underground if they are running underneath. I use it as a ground cover to shade roots of tender shrubs & vines (like clematis), and also to cover rocky mounds. I love this stuff, and only wish I could figure out how to get it to grow successfully in a pot. I don't know if I'm over or underwatering, or if the roots are just cooking from the heat.

Positive Pashta On Jun 15, 2006, Pashta from Moncks Corner, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought 2 plants when they were very small, and once outside in a larger hanging pot they grew very quickly. The trails of silver leaves are now about 3 feet long, and just stunning.

Positive joshz8a On May 22, 2005, joshz8a from z8a, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Absolutely smashing silver plant grown in hanging basket or from pot on pedestal. Ordered first in 2004, took our humid hot summer with ease. and grew inside over winter fairly easily in sunny west window letting it dry some between watering.

No disease or pests noted. Just a winner. Silver Falls...it is well named! joshz8a

Neutral TREEHUGR On Dec 7, 2004, TREEHUGR from Now in Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Not the easiest material to find but it's also an alternative to grass so long as you don't need to walk or drive on it.

Neutral indianajoans On Aug 18, 2004, indianajoans from Vincennes, IN wrote:

I purchased two 4" pots of, what I now know is Dichondra, (Silver Falls) at a fruit market in mid-July. The pots were full of 3 ft. long vines that were,covered by tiny, soft, gray-green leaves shaped like those of a Ginko tree. I had never seen this plant before. (I suspect the plants had been rescued from a hanging planter when the other flowers were spent and discarded.)
At the time, I was looking for something to disguise a couple of 20" tall white PVC pipes, that were sticking straight up (as part of a sprinkling system) in in the middle my sunny, flower garden.
I stuck a green wire "beverage holder" into the ground to hold the pots next to sprinkler heads. Then I spread out the Dichondra vines and lightly wrapped them, all together, round and round the pipes, all the way to the ground. It worked beautifully. The pots held very little water so I have made sure to keep the soil slightly moist.
To my surprise, when I looked closely at them today, both plants have propagated themselves, not only is there some tiny new growth in each pot, but one plant has rooted where 6-8 inches of vine lay on loose, lighty mulched soil at the foot of the pipe, and the other has 3 tiny seedlings, each bearing one leaf, at the foot of the sprinkler.
Now that I know how to propagate it, I hope to take individual cuttings from the rooting vines and grow them inside, under lights, this Winter, with the hope that Dichondra will again hide that ugly PVC pipe, next Summer; as well as make some beautiful additions to hanging planters.

Positive htop On Oct 28, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

In its native form, it is known as "Silver Ponyfoot" in my neck of the woods. Its native relative occurs in Mexico and Texas. 'Silver Falls' dichondra is a cultivar that is a vine-like, trailing, perennial herb that forms low mats like its native relative. It bears 3/4 to 1-inch long and wide velvety-soft, silver coin-like leaves that are on stems that look like on white thread. The leaf color is a pure silver-white which distinguishes it from the native variety. It can spread or cascade to 6 feet and is about 3 inches tall. 'Silver Falls' is heat tolerant and although it does better with medium moisture, it is drought-tolerant and recovers quickly even if wilted. It requires well-drained soil.

It produces small, almost insignificant creamish-white blooms from May through August. It produces seeds in tiny seed capsules. It is somewhat deer resistant and will usually not be eaten in areas that are not overpopulated by deer. It is perfect for hanging baskets, as a ground cover, in window boxes and even as a lawn (does not take frequent foot traffic).

My plant is in a hanging basket and it has grown to about 6 feet or more long. In the spring, I thought that someone was cutting off the stems and I wondered why on earth anyone would do this. They would be "clipped" right at the edge of the hanging basket. Everytime it would start cascading well, the stems would be "clipped". I finally found the culprit. Cardinals were breaking off pieces that were almost exactly 4 inches long, flying off with them and using them to build their nests. I started placing pieces of strng and grass in the pot hoping the birds would use these instead of my plant; however, they preferred the plant's strands that has soft foliage.

Grand Bay, Alabama
Boca Raton, Florida
Brandon, Florida
Homosassa, Florida
Oviedo, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida (2 reports)
Zephyrhills, Florida
Anderson, South Carolina
Greenville, South Carolina
Clarksville, Tennessee
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Center, Texas