PlantFiles: Dragon Tree, Dracaena, Cornplant, Chinese Moneytree
Dracaena fragrans 'Janet Craig Compacta'

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Dracaena (dra-SEE-nah) (Info)
Species: fragrans (FRAY-granz) (Info)
Cultivar: Janet Craig Compacta

Thumbnail #5 of Dracaena fragrans by HollyAnnS

By ynk
Thumbnail #6 of Dracaena fragrans by ynk

Negative creash On Mar 22, 2014, creash from Logansport, IN wrote:

I treat my corn plant like all my other dracaenas, but it has lost all its leaves. How do I get it to sprout new leaves, or is it a lost cause?? The woody stalk is still alive, but no new leaf growth

Positive BUFFY690 On Oct 13, 2013, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have grown the full sized Janet Craig before and truly loved them. I had to get rid of the couple I had because they have just outgrown my spaces...:)
I was leaving a Big Box store today and saw a sad little plant on the final sale or "Death Rack" and I looked again and saw two more ($.50 ea) I bought all three and took them home and cleaned them up, removed all the dead/dying/discolored leaves, and snipped most of the brown tips. Yay to my good fortune these plants don't look half bad now, I plan to repot after they recoop from the overwatering they had received that almost killed them.

I will post a new Janet Craig Compacta photo when I repot these little dolls :)

Maybe I will pot separately and give as Holiday Host Gifts, since they are also known as 'Pineapple Plants' and the pineapple is a symbol of hospitality :)

Positive foxhead128 On Jun 28, 2013, foxhead128 from New York, NY wrote:

I bought a small "Janet Craig Compacta" for my room recently. It gets a lot of indirect sunlight and receives water about once a week.

After I bought it, I kept it isolated from my other plants for a bit - wisely, it turns out, because there was a slug in it. I later checked the soil and found lots of bugs in it, after which I freaked out, threw out all the soil, and re-potted the plant. Following this incident, the plant seems to be putting up nicely without a fuss, so I'm inclined to rate it positively.

Positive TuckM On Jan 28, 2013, TuckM from Reno, NV wrote:

My Dracaena is doing amazingly well. I worked at Home Depot and the plant was set near the "tropical palms" for only 20 dollars, so I went to price check the plant because it was love at first sight and to my surprise it cost $60! Well I asked the garden guy to give it to me for the palm SKU and bam, $20 Janet Craig!! It came with a bit of brown ends, that I just clipped away at an angle. Now the new leaves don't get brown at all and the thing is growing by at least 3 inches per month. It has three stocks the back stock is the largest and then two to the sides are the same hight with a smaller one about 2 feet high at the front which makes for an amazing and compact plant! We actually mark where it grows on the wall like you would a growing kid! I think this is my favourite indoor plant by far! Only once did I think it might die because my mom (dont ask) decided to put it directly in front of a window and the leaves got sun burnt. Where the leaves burned the color is a yellowish grey green and isnt noticeable untill pointed out. Keep this guy away from direct light, but honestly I think it like bright filtered light, just not right on its leaves. Water it about once a week or a tad less, I feel it likes a slight dry soil.

Neutral sherri629 On Dec 1, 2009, sherri629 from Pawnee, IL wrote:

Hi, I'm a very novice plant owner, but this plant does look like one that I own. I'm guessing its around 18 inches tall and has two stalks coming up from the base. I'm not sure if it's a problem or the way it's supposed to be, but it seems like for every new growth from the top of this plant, it loses an equal amount from the bottom, so that the stalk is increasingly long. The top stays healthy, but the bottom keeps browning and dropping off. The plant is about 7 years old. Any advice?

Neutral EnhancingNature On Aug 30, 2006, EnhancingNature from Germantown, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

"Janet Craig" is one of the most shade-tolerant house plants in existence. But that doesn't mean it performs best in a closet. If it truly needs to enhance a dark corner, try rotating it out to a brighter spot from time to time. As for dying leaf tips, that's often caused by overwatering. If the plant is growing extremely slowly (in dim light), it needs extremely little water. To get a true sense of that, try withholding water until it shows distress -- that will probably take a very long time! Next time, water in a little shorter interval -- maybe monthly or bi-monthly. You can also trim off brown tips with sharp scissors; try to maintain a natural shape.

Positive brabrevilo On May 12, 2006, brabrevilo from Lincoln, MI wrote:

I have grown the Janet Craig for years. To my SUPRISE, one of my three( they live in the same planter inside) has an unusual looking large bud at the very top of it. What in the world is happening??
Any input would be great.

Brabrevilo

Positive BayAreaTropics On Oct 20, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

One of the best house plants you can find. No pests,takes little or much light indoors and is very forgiving about watering. Likes warmth -i dont think it is a 9b plant.
EDIT 2007: My 20+ year old 4' multitrunk plant bloomed for the first time. Unlike the regular corn plant,'compacata' has no fragrance..darn.

Neutral darylmitchell On Jun 1, 2005, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

I've had this plant for a couple of years. The greenhouse from which I bought it said that it would grow under low lighting, so I kept it at work, where my office faces north and has a few small windows. It hasn't grown very much and the leaves sometimes develop black spots or die back at the tips. I think it needs more light than it's currently getting.

Positive patp On Jul 2, 2003, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I keep plant in bright, indirect light; receives late afternoon sun through low-e glass. Sword-shaped leaves have parallel venation. I've read that scales, mealybugs, and thrips can sometimes be a problem but I've never had a problem in my 3 years of ownership. Origin Africa or Asia. Very lovely indoor plant.

Hayward, California
Lincoln, Michigan
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Henderson, Nevada
Reno, Nevada
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Broaddus, Texas