Delicata Squash, Winter Squash
Cucurbita pepo 'Sweet Dumpling'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sweet Dumpling

Cream

Medium Green

Striped

Size:

Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)

2 to 3 pounds (1 to 2 kg)

Habit:

Vinton, Ohio

Kerrville, Texas

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

On Apr 10, 2007, sofla from Pembroke Pines, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

We planted a number of C. pepo varieties (Delicata, Sweet Dumpling & Acorn) - the only downside is that each plant gave us only one or two fruits. Not sure whether it is our climate (Florida), the powdery mildew, or our inexperience with growing squash. Since we do not have many bees I hand pollinated. Though many seemd to take, only one would really grow - then the upcoming female flowers all wilted.
The few fruits we did harvest were delicious - pop them in the microwave for 10 -15 minutes, spray a little olive oil on them along with some nutmeg & thyme (or for those with a sweet tooth use some brown sugar & cinnamon).

On Dec 4, 2005, NatureWalker from New York & Terrell, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

The prime season for Sweet Dumpling Winter Squash is September though December up north here. The taste of the fruit is naturally sweet on it's own and very reminiscent of chestnuts. Therefore I'm ranking it in the dessert group.

If you can still find some available where you are at this time of year; buy and try. I bought only 3 of them on the very last day at our local farmer's market; I wish I had bought all of the last 8 that were there.

I will be saving some of the seeds from the ripest one and testing the germination, because I know the seller, and she only grows organic. Let's see if it does come true from seed, as I've seen seeds for sale at burpees.com ~* Robin

On Jul 2, 2005, eweed from Everson, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I find this to be a pretty, dark-green, tidy bush-type, staying home in a small space. It is prolific and produces sweet fleshed fruits wrapped in a cream or off-white skin with green stripes. This is what I call a single server--the largest will serve two. It keeps for months, if cured well at season's end. If you have small spaces or large containers this could be just right for you.

On Jul 9, 2003, jgtruly from Five Points, AL wrote:

This plant resembles a squash plant and uses about the same space. The leaves are similar, however, the cucurbitas are a darker green. Very interesting, because the vegetable has dark green stripes and is cream- colored with orange flesh. This squash is a heavy producer and I will definitely grow it next summer.

I prepared this by cutting the squash lengthwise, adding a little salt, pepper and butter, then baking it in the microwave as you would a baked potato. June G. Truly, Oxford, Ms. 38655 7/09/03