Egyptian Mint

Mentha niliaca

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mentha (MEN-thuh) (Info)
Species: niliaca (nil-ee-AK-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Mentha sylvestris

Tempe, Arizona

Valdosta, Georgia

Franklinton, Louisiana

Orting, Washington

On Apr 1, 2014, azsilvia from Tempe, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

An excellent robust mint. In my area this mint gets taller than other varieties and has aggresive runners to it must be contained or it will spread and take over as much real estate as it can. Attractive to bees and other pollinators.

Flavor is a little milder than peppermint or spearmint. Makes delightful tea. With as fast a grower as Egyptian Mint is you will have plenty of leaves to dry for tea!

I must disagree with the description that this mint has smooth leaves. The leaves are fuzzy, especially as they emerge, and the fuzz gives this mint a greyish-green color making it readily identifiable from other mints in the garden.

On Aug 22, 2008, drecenra from Orting, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bought this from a local nursery and planted it in a barrel half. It got tall, then died back in winter. This spring, it covered almost half the barrel. I use it in my tea, and it tastes great. Regular pruning will make it branch out more. My first mint and still one of my favorites.

On May 17, 2007, noeshia from Valdosta, GA wrote:

I've had this plant for at least two years(more likly to be three really), and it's done fairly well in it's pot all that time.I've never gotten mine to bloom, but I'm hoping that this year it may come out with a few.
Like other mints keep it pinched back fairly often so that it will branch out and spread faster.If pinched often it'll fill a pot attractively.You also have the added benefit of fragrant mint cuttings that could be dried for tea.Or used to propagate another plant.
My plant was obtained from a garden center near my house where the owner had let it grow wild in his beds for show.He loves sharing information and gave me several mints and other herbs like this,allthough it took me a while to find the plant's proper names.It seems to be little known and underused,but... read more