PlantFiles: Wonga Vine
Pandorea pandorana

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pandorea (pan-DOH-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: pandorana (pan-DOR-an-uh) (Info)

Pale Yellow

Thumbnail #6 of Pandorea pandorana by ecrane3

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Pandorea pandorana by growin

Positive Dandelion3 On Mar 2, 2013, Dandelion3 from Glendale, AZ wrote:

I live in USDA Zone 9b (Glendale AZ) and bought my wonga vine in a one gallon pot about 3 years ago. It's planted on a west-facing block wall that gets some later afternoon sun. It was in full bloom when I planted it and lovely. I was worried, tho, whether it could survive with our very high summer temps since I'd not seen it for sale before in local nurseries. While it has not grown wildly, it has developed into a nice vine that flowers as soon as the weather warms here and keeps its green leaves all summer long. We had an unusual weather event here in January - 4 days of hard frost. That hit many of my landscape plants very hard but the Wonga vine survived nicely and is now blooming.

Positive broozersnooze On Sep 10, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is my first year growing this vine. So far it has been prolific & has lovely variegated leaves.

It is native to Australia. Researching this plant on the web indicates it is hardy 20 - 25 degrees. We'll see.

The majority of my gardens are grown in containers but, due to back problems, I do not bring any of them inside during a freeze. I cover them if danger of frost or bitterly cold winds.

I live in NE Florida & temps dip in the 20's or even a little lower for several hours so they must be somewhat cold hardy. I hope my pandora vine makes it because it is very pretty.

I will gladly accept any information any of you have on this beautiful climber.

June 24, 2004

This winter I placed the potted Wonga Wonga vine against the lattice on my back porch & covered it only when the temps dipped below 35 degrees. It was moved away from the lattice in the spring & is doing beautifully.

Positive kennedyh On Jul 3, 2003, kennedyh from Churchill, Victoria
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

Wonga Vine is a beautiful climber that is quite common in this area, including Morwell National Park.
It is widespread in eastern Australia and comes in a variety of different forms and colours. The flowers in this area are white with a purple throat, but further north there are varieties with pink, yellow or brownish flowers.
It is a vigorous climber, with pinnate leaves, often climbing 6 to 10 metres up the trees and shrubs. It produces lots of winged seeds in dry boat-shaped capsules and is easily grown from seed.
I have planted two in my garden and they have done very well. Almost too well as we keep getting additional seedlings springing up all round the garden.

San Pablo, California