Mexican Cardinal Flower

Lobelia laxiflora

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lobelia (low-BEE-lee-a) (Info)
Species: laxiflora (laks-ih-FLO-ruh) (Info)
Synonym:Lobelia mexicana

Thousand Oaks, California

Eustis, Florida

Mcdonough, Georgia

Bossier City, Louisiana

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

On May 6, 2015, GreenthumbCali from Thousand Oaks, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

This plant is easy to grow and and maintain. It does attract the Humming birds as all other users have stated. Give it plenty of space as it will branch out. You can find more data sheet info here Data Sheet

On Jul 30, 2013, ClimbTheMtns from Walnut Creek, CA wrote:

I'm on the boarder of Neutral to Positive. As others have stated, the hummingbirds love this plant, however, if you don't control it, it'll spread and spread and spread. Mine is over 4' in circumference at about 4-5 years old. Dies back in our Zone 9 Winter *Walnut Creek, CA*
It definitely flops over - that's just it's nature! Easily transplanted from runners and even self seeds a bit.

On Jul 15, 2012, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

Not my plant but in the local botanical gardens, they grow this against a south facing wall, sometimes it will stay evergreen, but most of the time, it will be herbaceous here, returning from the ground. However it flowers without fail every year, and the flowers are really quite wonderful, with very warm colours.

Excellent addition if the climate allows for it.

On Apr 5, 2012, missdaphne from Fresno, CA wrote:

This plant thrives on neglect in my hot, dry garden in Fresno, Ca. I first encountered it in a semi-shady pine glade at my sister's in Pacific Grove where it surely received much more moisture and less sunlight. I took a little piece of it home and got it started in my yard where it's flourished for years. The hummingbirds love it and I like the color. My only ambivalence, hence the neutral rating, is prompted by its rampant and floppy growth habit. No adjacent plant stands a chance without human intervention.
This is not a tidy, little plant.

On Jul 5, 2011, Anniesfollies from Carlsbad, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

The hummingbirds love this plant, as do I. The bright orange flowers add great color to the garden and it blooms prolifically almost year round. It is in the middle of an island planted with succulents and drought tolerant shrubs and takes the midday hot sun well with a minimum amount of water. However, it is a very vigorous grower and takes constant pruning to keep it from covering up other plants. Mine looks much wider than those in the Dave's Garden Images and it definately would be much to tight in the 9-12" spacing listed. Am I giving it too much water, or is this the nature of this plant? It has had no fertilizer since it was planted two years ago. I'm thinking of moving it somewhere where it won't interfere with other plants and replacing it with a 'Tiny Mouse' Cuphea, but thought I... read more

On Apr 14, 2010, otter47 from Livermore, CA wrote:

This lobelia is very different from the more familiar edging lobelia (Lobelia erinus) and the taller perennial species (L. cardinalis, L. siphilicita and hybrids of these), all of which like moist soil. Lobelia laxiflora thrives in my front yard that faces the hot southwestern sun with only occasional watering in the summer. I live in Livermore, CA, which has some of the warmest summertime temperatures in the Bay Area.