Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Scentimental'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Scentimental
Additional cultivar information:(PP10126, WEKplapep, Scentimental, Scentimental Sunflor)
Hybridized by Carruth
Registered or introduced: 1996

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

White (w)

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

El Paso, Texas

Gilmer, Texas

Lufkin, Texas

Shepherd, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas (2 reports)

Olympia, Washington

Casco, Wisconsin

Clintonville, Wisconsin

negative

On Apr 10, 2011, victorengel from Austin, TX wrote:

Not striped here. Appears like the photo by Dreamsofspring.

On Feb 19, 2011, willow314 from Lamar, CO wrote:

We grow this plant on the east side of our house. It has been wholly maintenance free. 3 time last summer we counted more than 45 roses on it at one time. We've never had a rose be so vigorous. It is frangrant as it is right beside the door exit. It is true the blooms don't last long, but there are so many of them!!! We live in zone 5 on the eastern plains of Colorado.

On Jan 1, 2011, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

Scentimental is most hardy floribunda I have ever grown. The only roses hardier in my experience are hardy shrub roses. When buried in ground it gets through our ugly NE Wisconsin (Zone 5) winters really well, with more living stems left in the spring than any other non-hardy rose has. Its bloom is heavy, although the rebloom is not overly fast. In our cooler climate, it is true to color, red-and-white striped. It grows vigorously, getting larger year by year.

Then why did I give it only a neutral rating? Because I don't like the flowers. As others have posted, they are short-lived, so poor for cut flowers. They have a tendency to be poorly formed, also. But even when properly formed, I still don't like their appearance.

I had one for close to ten yea... read more

On Jun 3, 2009, MavisFlowers from Lufkin, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Terrific, indestructible, pleasantly fragrant rose. Stunningly striped in red & white, this coloration is expressed under the high & humid temperatures of my zone 8a garden beginning in early spring, all summer long and into fall. I have had these roses since shortly after their introduction and they have thrived with great vigor even when neglected. Can't say enough about how much I love these many bloomed beauties!!!

On Aug 14, 2008, Joyous from Himrod, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have had this rose for about 10 years and do love it. Yes the blossoms are a bit short lived but I get blossoms all summer long. My main problem with this rose is the JB's just love it! I am forever picking them off but finally the season is over and I have new buds again.

I sometimes get an almost peach/tangerine color with the white instead of the pink but only on certain parts of the plant. If I was not so lazy I would try a cutting of it and see if the colors hold true. Well, there is always next year.

On May 27, 2008, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

Very pretty flower. Too bad it only lasts about 24 hours. I recommend "Mockin Bird" instead of "Scentimental".

On Apr 16, 2007, FaerieGardener from Manteca, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have the tree rose version from Jackson & Perkins. It grows beautifully in my zone (9b). The blossoms are fully striped. It has a lovely drooping habit. The fragrence is only apparent when the roses are just opening. My only problem with this rose is the short life of the flowers. You get 1--2 days where they look nice. After that, they droop. In less than a week, the petals are falling off. Blossom life in vases is even shorter, so it's no good for cut flowers. I'm still deciding whether to remove it and get another rose with blooms that have a longer life.

On May 27, 2005, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Not as fragrant as was advertised to be. For me, the flowers are always pink and white, never red and white. Flowers are always striped, regardless of the temperature.

On Mar 4, 2005, OldeOake from Back of Beyond, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

According to the Edmunds Roses website, the parents of this rose cultivar are Playboy X Peppermint Twist.

On Nov 6, 2004, DreamOfSpring from Outer Banks, NC (Zone 9a) wrote:

Unfortunately, this rose does not express the white markings when grown at high temperatures. In my Zone 8b garden, I have 2 plants both of which display the same behavior. In early spring, I see a few lightly striped blooms. For the remainder of the summer as temps here soar well into the 90's F, the blooms are solid red.