PlantFiles: Baby's Toes
Fenestraria rhopalophylla

Family: Aizoaceae (ay-zoh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fenestraria (fen-es-TRAY-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: rhopalophylla (rope-a-lo-FIL-la) (Info)

Synonym:Fenestraria rhopalophylla subsp. rhopalophyllav

Cactus and Succulents

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Pale Yellow

Succulent

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By PotEmUp

Thumbnail #5 of Fenestraria rhopalophylla by palmbob

Thumbnail #6 of Fenestraria rhopalophylla by palmbob

Thumbnail #7 of Fenestraria rhopalophylla by palmbob

Positive femluc On Dec 3, 2009, femluc from Elizabethton, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I recently acquired some of the Baby's Toes plants and just adore them. I was worried about the right soil mixture, but I used a mixture of cactus mix and sand and evidently, I did something right because I just noticed some new growth. I have them growing inside in a clay flower pot with filtered light. This is a cute plant and seems to be non-temperamental, at least for now.

Positive palmbob On Sep 18, 2007, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Have grown these in the garden for years... sometimes they do great, and sometimes they wither and die... not figured the problem out, but I can tell you that they don't like too much shade- get stretched and rot easily... but they don't like blazing, hot sun, either... makes them shrivel up and die... seem to like being wedged into places between rocks that protect them from hot afternoon sun, but get a lot of morning sun. Tolerate a lot of drought, but not too much, or again, they wither and die. Do very well in pots and seem to be a nearly carefree plant in a pot as long as lots of bright light or morning light and don't water all the time. They seem to prefer to be grown in a sandy mix (some grow them in nearly pure sand).

Positive dkorte On Nov 15, 2004, dkorte from Long Beach, CA wrote:

I HAVE THE WHITE FLOWERED VARIETY , IT;S BLOOMING RIGHT NOW, IT'S BEEN BLOOMING FOR AT LEAST 2 MONTHS. i CAN TELL YOU THEY REALLY LIKE BONEMEAL.
i HAD 2 - 2 1/2 IN PLANTS, ONE LOOKED BETTER THAN THE OTHER, I TRANSPLANTED THE TWO TO A SMALL BONZAI POT AND SOON HAD 2 SUCCESSIVE BLOOMS.
THE LIGHT IS SO-SO AT NIGHT WHERE i POT AND I TOP DRESSED WITH BONEMEAL INSTEAD OF THE CRUSHED STONE I THOUGHT I WAS USING. GAVE IT A LITTLE WATER ONCE IN AWHILE, WITHIN 2 WEEKS I HAD 7 FLOWERS AT THE SAME TIME. WHEN I REALIZED THE WATER WAS BEADING ON THE SURFACE AND WHAT HAD HAPPENED, I SCRAPED MOST OF THE BONEMEAL OFF AND REPLACED WITH CRUSHED STONE. THIS NOV MORN I HAVE 8 BUDS AND 1 LARGE FLOWER

Carlsbad, California
Garberville, California
Long Beach, California
Reseda, California
San Diego, California (2 reports)
Jupiter, Florida