PlantFiles: Virginia Spiderwort, Widow's-Tears
Tradescantia x andersoniana 'Osprey'

Family: Commelinaceae (ko-mel-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tradescantia (trad-es-KAN-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: x andersoniana (an-der-soh-nee-AH-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Osprey

By Todd_Boland
Thumbnail #7 of Tradescantia x andersoniana by Todd_Boland

Positive RosinaBloom On Oct 9, 2012, RosinaBloom from Waihi
New Zealand wrote:

Virginia Spiderwort - Widow's Tears 'Osprey - I found this unique looking little Spring flower growing in an old garden in Waihi. A joyous find for a photographer.

Negative gmaly On Mar 2, 2010, gmaly from West Chester, OH wrote:

If someone offers you a start of this or any of the many varieties of spiderwort, run as fast as you can! That person is not your friend. This plant, though beautiful, is an invasive monster spreading from my garden to my neighbors and to his neighbor 500 feet away in 2 growing seasons here just north of Cincinnati, zone 6! I have pulled, dug, and used RoundUp for years now, and still find isolated patches popping up unexpectedly (possibly from the neighbor who is not much of a gardener). I bought Ospry at a local nursery. The worker at the nursery insisted this new variety was going to be very popular because unlike its relatives, had been specifically bred to be "non-invasive". What a joke! I even planted it in a planter on my deck "just in case", but couldn't keep up with the prolific seed production.

Neutral Ttinylass On Jun 4, 2007, Ttinylass from Knoxville, TN wrote:

I live in East Tennessee, north side of a mountain, lots of shade. This plant grows well in our deep shade, but does get about 2 1/2 feet tall and flops over. We have it now growing inside large peony rings to hold it up. It's blooms open in the morning, and are closed by the heat of the day. Bloom size is about one inch, white with pale blue tint to edges of petal. Mine has spread, but does not seem to be invasive. All in all, an ok plant, but I do wish the blooms were more significant and lasted at least throughout the day. Ttinylass

Neutral angihansen On Aug 2, 2006, angihansen from Watkinsville, GA wrote:

I love the flowers, although I'm not sold on the grass-like foliage next to my lawn. Also, I knew that the flowers would fade at the end of the day, but in full sun they would disappear by 3 p.m.! I tried moving it to light shade, but they still fade by 5 or 6 p.m. So it's an enjoyable flower in the morning, but it's gone by the time I get home or guests come over :(

Holly Pond, Alabama