Joyweed
Alternanthera bettzickiana 'Brilliantissima'

Family: Amaranthaceae
Genus: Alternanthera (al-ter-NANTH-ur-uh) (Info)
Species: bettzickiana (bet-zik-ee-AY-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Brilliantissima

Mottled

Cape Coral, Florida

Titusville, Florida

On Nov 22, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Joyweed 'Brilliantissima' Alternanthera bettzickiana is Naturalized in Texas and other States.

On Feb 15, 2006, capecoralmamma from Cape Coral, FL wrote:

I've had several of these plants for about 3 years. I've grown them (in Central and South FL) in total shade and in full sun. They grow easily from stem cuttings. I've grown them both in pots and in the ground. They require some cutting back every now and then to retain a nice shape.

On Jan 22, 2005, salvia_lover from Modi'in
Israel wrote:

This plant really does best in full sun as it gets it's really vivid color combinations there. But it tolerates partial shade too...although having far less dramatic foliage color. The little white flowers aren't really visible from a distance, but up close are kind of cute. The mottled coloring certainly is the most striking feature of this plant. All of my sources list this as growing up to 8 inches tall, but mine in in a large pot on my patio and is at least 18 inches tall. In hot summers it stands up very well to the heat so long as the soil isn't allowed to dry out. But the one time I did let it get a little dry, it flopped over in a fainting heap....only to perk right back up within 24 hours of getting a long drink. I love this plant!

-Julie

On Jul 6, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Though listed as an indoor plant in Sunset Western Garden Book, it grows year round for many in So Cal. It has incredible color, and even tolerates sun, but can't dry out.