Mango 'Bailey's Marvel'

Mangifera indica

Family: Anacardiaceae (an-a-kard-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mangifera (man-GEF-er-uh) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Bailey's Marvel

Hayward, California

Malabar, Florida

Merritt Island, Florida

Rockledge, Florida

Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

On Apr 3, 2010, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I bought one last summer in a (overpotted) 5 gallon from a local nursery and it grew fine. Its seemed like it wanted to go tall, so I pinched it.
Other than putting the pot in the garage two nights in December-its taken our SF Bay Area chill winters and spring without dropping a leaf. And now in April is flushing new growth through cool early morn temps.
Although,I have read it's not a good bearer in California from one grower,time will tell if thats universal. This one will always be pot grown as warm soils for Mangos are hard to provide this far north. Mangos make surprisingly good potted trees.
UPDATE: November 2010 .Still in that same pot,its now well over 6' (with being tipped pruned last summer)with a rather narrow growth with upright branching. I like that it ... read more

On Jun 17, 2004, Abuela from Miami, FL wrote:

I would like some information an how long would it take to bear fruit, my plant messures about 4 feet.

On Jul 10, 2003, scooterbug from Tellico Plains, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

I removed and scrubbed the large seed,then let it dry out for a few days. Very carefully removed the rough outer husk. I planted it deep enough to guard against drying out, in a pot with seed starting soil,on it's side with the pointy end kinda tipped down. Kept moist it took a while to germinate and is VERY slow growing. It is about 4 yrs. old, root pruned and re-potted last fall. Strangely it still has all the real leaves it was born with [tho tattered].......It has just this year starting branching out..... Now about 2 ft tall,it lives on the window seat that my friends call the "plant seat " . ....In S.E. Wis.