PlantFiles: Mango
Mangifera indica 'Bailey's Marvel'

Family: Anacardiaceae (an-a-kard-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mangifera (man-GEF-er-uh) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Bailey's Marvel

Thumbnail #5 of Mangifera indica by BayAreaTropics

Thumbnail #6 of Mangifera indica by BayAreaTropics

Thumbnail #7 of Mangifera indica by BayAreaTropics

Positive BayAreaTropics On Apr 3, 2010, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I bought one last summer in a (overpotted) 5 gallon from a local nursery and it grew fine. Its seemed like it wanted to go tall, so I pinched it.
Other than putting the pot in the garage two nights in December-its taken our SF Bay Area chill winters and spring without dropping a leaf. And now in April is flushing new growth through cool early morn temps.
Although,I have read it's not a good bearer in California from one grower,time will tell if thats universal. This one will always be pot grown as warm soils for Mangos are hard to provide this far north. Mangos make surprisingly good potted trees.
UPDATE: November 2010 .Still in that same pot,its now well over 6' (with being tipped pruned last summer)with a rather narrow growth with upright branching. I like that it has a husky trunk for a potted young tree. Next year it will surely be potted up for its first time. No flowers yet.
It hasnt shown to have any problems so far-no anthracnose or leaf discoloration or leaf drop in winter from cold. But I can tell it can get to be a largeish potted tree in time!
EDIT May 2011: As you can see-its flowering,with small proto fruits-yea!. Not a long wait for a Northern California Mango that is outdoors all year,all the time. Now,only to see if the fruit hold..and taste...

Positive Abuela On Jun 17, 2004, Abuela from Miami, FL wrote:

I would like some information an how long would it take to bear fruit, my plant messures about 4 feet.

Positive scooterbug On Jul 10, 2003, scooterbug from Tellico Plains, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

I removed and scrubbed the large seed,then let it dry out for a few days. Very carefully removed the rough outer husk. I planted it deep enough to guard against drying out, in a pot with seed starting soil,on it's side with the pointy end kinda tipped down. Kept moist it took a while to germinate and is VERY slow growing. It is about 4 yrs. old, root pruned and re-potted last fall. Strangely it still has all the real leaves it was born with [tho tattered].......It has just this year starting branching out..... Now about 2 ft tall,it lives on the window seat that my friends call the "plant seat " . ....In S.E. Wis.

Hayward, California