Species Orchid, Flying Duck Orchid, Larger Caleana

Caleana major

Family: Orchidaceae (or-kid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Caleana (kal-ee-AN-uh) (Info)
Species: major (MAY-jor) (Info)
Synonym:Caleya major

Maroon (Purple-Brown)

On Aug 26, 2015, seaviolet from Houston, TX wrote:

I was able to find some seeds on etsy that were shipped from China, I haven't sprouted them yet and am unable to find photos of seeds to confirm the purchase, (I also ordered 100 and received 32...) but I hope they are correct and am looking for soil conditions conditions with no luck so I'm going to do some more research before I try anything

On Nov 12, 2014, NOSSA from Adelaide
Australia wrote:

Caleana major can NOT be cultivated. Not even skilled expert growers have succeeded. There are no plants for sale. Under Australian legislation it is a protected plant and it is illegal to remove it from the wild.

More details can be found on the Native Orchid Society of South Australian website (nossa.org.au)

On Jun 15, 2004, noda from yinnar south
Australia wrote:

i found the flying duck orchd on my property in its natural state at Yinnar Sth, 1 kilometer away from the morwell national park (Victoria ,Australia). It was situated under a canopy of iron barks and amongst dense scrub. We have only owned the property for 6 months, it was in flower at the time which i found it, late spring / early summer 2003
I have pressed speciman which is exactly replicated by the photo provided on this site.

On Jul 7, 2003, kennedyh from Churchill, Victoria
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is another delightful orchid that grows in Morwell National Park in Victoria, Australia. The flower has an amazing resemblance to a duck taking to flight, with its wings swept back and head and beak held high. The head and beak is the labellum of the orchid flower, which is inverted. The labellum is on a trigger mechanism and if an insect lands on the column of the flower, the labellum springs down and traps the insect, forcing it to exit by a set route carrying it past the pollinia and the stigma. The labellum then slowly resets itself to await the next visitor.
Despite the spectacular appearance, this plant is easily overlooked. The flowers and stem are predominantly reddish-brown and the plant merges in with the dry sticks and grass stems and becomes almost invisible.
... read more