Pheasant Berry, Himalayan Honeysuckle 'Golden Lanterns'

Leycesteria formosa

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Leycesteria (ley-ses-TER-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: formosa (for-MOH-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Golden Lanterns
Additional cultivar information:(aka Notbruce, Golden Lanterns)
Hybridized by Notcutts

Flowers are good for cutting

Maroon (Purple-Brown)

From hardwood heel cuttings

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By simple layering

By stooling or mound layering

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Cawston, British Columbia

San Anselmo, California

Averill Park, New York

Albany, Oregon

Brookings, Oregon

Eugene, Oregon

Hubbard, Oregon

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania (2 reports)

Lexington, Virginia

Vader, Washington

On Mar 12, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I planted one on the edge of my vegetable garden in part shade. It performed well its first season, but then over the next two years it dwindled, despite good rich well-drained soil and regular irrigation. This is said to grow like a perennial where winters cut down the top growth, but my plant never showed the necessary vigor. It survived only two Boston winters, Z6a.

Dirr says the species is only hardy to Z7.

On Sep 21, 2012, mgarr from Hanover Twp., PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This year it became so dry I had to take a hose to my garden to save some plants. This shrub began to wilt and then the foliage turned brown. Just when I gave up on the plant and was going to prune it back new growth began and now in mid September it is blooming and looking wonderful.

On Jul 29, 2012, Phillmygarden from Wexford
Ireland wrote:

This plant just 'appeared' in my garden 2yrs ago, it's 6ft tall now and seeding itself around the garden in several places. Even though it's garden is too small to accomodate any more. So be careful, as it can be very invasive.

On Aug 12, 2007, rcn48 from Lexington, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

We've grown this plant for several years now and have found when planted in full sun or brighter light the foliage continues to produce red fresh growth all through the summer. Tolerates shade conditions well, but will be more of a chartreuse color - still lovely, but so much nicer with more sun.

On Jun 25, 2006, Iluvmygarden from Hope, BC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Have experience with this plant at work at a show garden, but my 2 are new to my yard, first season. I have learned they don't enjoy being planted in the fall, I overwintered mine in pots and waited for spring. Will tolerate hard pruning, but the stalks are sort of bamboo like, hard, woody, and hollow (if I remeber correctly), so it remains fairly obvious where you have cut. Best if given enough space to let it grow to it's full spread. Beautiful plant, the colors are gorgeous!

On Oct 11, 2005, ctsgardening from machynlleth
United Kingdom wrote:

Hi, I Live in The Snowdonia National Park in Wales In The UK. This plant grows very well in my garden. It does not care what soil or light it has it flowers seeds and there are plenty of young plants growing around the garden. The plant was in the garden when we bought the house 3 years ago. We love this plant and have only discovered its name today.

On Aug 14, 2005, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I absolutely love this plant. It's so lovely to my eyes. I have a saying when I see a pretty flower. I say, "That's some pretty stuff" LOL. Well I was outside today just looking at my Himalayan Honeysuckle and even though I see it everday...I said, "That's some pretty stuff!!" LOL
What a Lovely Bush

On Oct 31, 2003, Drphil wrote:

I have two specimins in the garden (Luton, UK) one by a pond and another which masks an usightly shed. They were bought in 3 litre pots and have grown to their full height in 2 seasons. The one situated by the pond makes a great backdrop for the water and the berrys look spectacular in the autumn. Just remember to give it enough space!