PlantFiles: Miniature Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Red Cascade'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Cascade
Additional cultivar information: (PP03962, MOORcap)
Hybridized by Moore; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1976

Resistant to black spot
Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering
Avoid pruning

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by vossner

By michaeladenner
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by michaeladenner

Neutral coriaceous On Jul 22, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Despite the small size of the individual flowers (1"), this makes a good show in the landscape through the sheer number of flowers it puts out. Blooms on old growth, so it should be pruned as minimally as possible, and only to shape. Quick repeat cycle.

This can reach 15' if trained as a climber. The canes are plentiful and pliable, and simply demand to be draped or swagged or garlanded or spiraled about a pillar or otherwise put to use. They cascade beautifully, as the name indicates.

Very blackspot resistant. Can be grown without fungicide even on the east coast of North America.

This is sometimes recommended as a groundcover. But the spines make the inevitable weeding hazardous.

The cultivar name is 'MOORcap'. "Red Cascade" is the exhibition name.

Positive GaMadGardener On May 15, 2013, GaMadGardener from Leesburg, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I'll start with, "this rose is bulletproof". I live in SW Ga. Where 100% humidity without rain, Is not uncommon. Blackspots kill more roses than anything. But not this miniature. I got cuttings from a neighbor of mine, who was trimming his with a weed-eater. (not an avid gardener)LOL! I rooted softwood cuttings,
And used it as a ground cover in a 12' round rose bed. They shortly started to outgrow that bed. I had 5 of them. I then moved them under my long needle pine trees, plants were about 40 - 48" wide. After a couple of years, and some 10 - 10 - 10. They would shoot off 6 - 8' runners. After I buy my new house, I going back for more cuttings.

Mad

Positive TexasDollie On Mar 24, 2013, TexasDollie from Windcrest, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought this rose up in Wichita Falls, TX because the nursery had a specimen that covered the front fence of their store...maybe seven feet by five feet of solid green with a million tiny roses on it. Brought it to San Antonio and planted it in our dry sandy soil. Not nearly so spectacular, but I suspect it's been my care of it, not the plant. I've rooted cuttings of it to take with me when we move soon, and the potted one is doing MUCH better than the one in the ground! Looking forward to seeing what it will do in black loam instead of tan sand.

Edited Oct. 5, 2013-The little rose loves its new home! So easy to root, no pests, no diseases, doesn't care how it's watered--spray, soaker, whatever. So far I have three rooted cuttings taken from the main plant this summer...and all three are taking off like crazy.

Positive garden_mom On Apr 29, 2010, garden_mom from Bigelow, AR wrote:

I've been growing this rose for several years and it is outstanding. Tiny, deep red, many petaled roses smother the plant in late spring and it repeats during the summer and fall. Mine is almsot nine feet wide and is a little over three feet tall. It is tolerating amended clay soil and never has disease in my humid southern 7b garden. It has few thorns and they are not large. Red Cascade is easy to root and I have had several "volunteer" plants where a cane got covered with soil and rooted itself. Make sure you give this one plenty of room!

Neutral Joan On Apr 3, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 3962 has expired
Positive michaeladenner On Apr 29, 2006, michaeladenner from Deland, FL wrote:

Tiny perfect fully double, deeply cupped miniature roses. A resilient, no-spray rose in Central Florida that is not at all picky about its soil. Though it defoliates a bit during the winter, its spring flush is remarkably lush. Blooms in flushes throughout the summer and fall. Though it's marketed as a groundcover rose, I think it's best growing up through a support of some kind (see my pics) so that its flower can be appreciated. I keep mine at 4 feet, but my guess is that it would grow to around 6 here in Florida, 5 elsewhere.

Positive vossner On Apr 16, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this mini rose. I bought it in Feb. 2006. Very glad I did. I have it growing in a hanging basket.

May 2010: My, time is flying. Rose in h. basket died b/c of insufficient watering. I planted rooted cuttings and trained along two small espaliers. This rose is beautiful, hardy and extremely easy to root. For gardeners who are disciplined about watering hanging baskets, I think RC would be great to grow. Not fragrant.

Positive DownEaster42 On Oct 11, 2005, DownEaster42 from Greenville, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have been trying to discover the name of a minature dark red rose that I bought on sale at a local garden center. The price was right since the tag was gone. I bought it because it was thriving despite the fact that it cracked it's half gallon plastic pot, and had been at the nursery for at least a year.

I really think this rose is it!!!! Best rose for landscaping I have ever found. Blooms all year except when temperatures are freezing. NEVER has any disease!!!! Easy to propagate. Seems that everyone that takes a good look at it wants a start!!!

Positive trifunov On Nov 8, 2004, trifunov from Brandon, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

These roses are marketed as good for landscaping, groundcover and low hedging. I have three in containers. They have miniature dark red blooms in flushes. They have grown long trailing runners (about 3 foot in the first season) but did develop a little black spot in fall. I'm not a huge fan of miniature roses, but these are quite pleasant - I may try to train them to climb, having read here that they can be trained to climb - they will be more effective climbing than they are in pots.

Bigelow, Arkansas
Fallbrook, California
Deland, Florida
Marianna, Florida
Leesburg, Georgia
Trenton, Georgia
Palmyra, Illinois
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)
Danvers, Massachusetts