Double Creeping Buttercup
Ranunculus repens 'Pleniflorus'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ranunculus (ra-NUN-ku-lus) (Info)
Species: repens (REE-penz) (Info)
Cultivar: Pleniflorus
Additional cultivar information:(aka Flore-Pleno)
Synonym:Ranunculus repens var. pleniflorus

Sammamish, Washington

Madison, Wisconsin

Casper, Wyoming

On Jul 19, 2014, maudie400 from Normal, IL wrote:

My mother gave me this plant. It does spread, but not uncontrollably. Flowers are graceful, it blooms for a long period, and the leaves are nice.

On Feb 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I've spent much time trying to rid both lawn and beds of the parent species. A noxious weed of lawns and gardens and an invasive species destructive of natural areas, it's on the Massachusetts prohibited plant list, which makes the sale, trade, transport, and planting of this species illegal. Runners root at every node.

Poisonous to grazing animals, and the juice contains a vesicant that can cause blistering on contact.

This plant destroys other plants not only through competition for resources but also by producing allelopathic chemicals, toxins that inhibit the growth of or kill a wide range of other plants.

On Apr 29, 2013, tmaryso43 from Taos, MO wrote:

I have had this plant several years. Grown in full sun surrounding a bird bath. It does tend to spread by the roots system but not that hard to keep under control. The plant is lovely green and the flowers are a nice bright yellow and last for a time. I didn't realize all parts of the plant were poisonous until I read about the plant on this web site. Just keep in control by digging up the runners. I haven't had much trouble with the watering either, live in Missouri, drought last year did some watering but not that much and it looks great this year!

On Apr 15, 2010, khicks wrote:

This plant grew in our yard when I was a child; it has disappeared. I wish I could get a start of it again. It was not invasive. It was used as a ground cover around several flowering shrubs.

On Jun 8, 2009, WAHawk from Sammamish, WA wrote:

This sure looks like what has become the most invasive plant in my yard (not planted by me). The growing conditions in the West Cascade foothills seem to be ideal... heavy clay soil that stays wet all year. It's a very pretty plant, but I don't want it the lawn, every bed I have, etc., etc. I pull and pull, but every tiny bit of root left seems to sprout a new plant. I'm at war!

On Sep 4, 2006, jocelynsladen from Warrenton, VA wrote:

My mother had superb gardens, and used this Ranunculus in so many ways...beside steps, between stones, on edges. It never became agressive or ill mannered. We loved it, and I wish I could find a source of it again.

On Jul 10, 2003, Baa wrote:

A double flowered cultivar which happily spreads by stolons.

Has mid to deep green, lobed, slightly hairy leaves. Bears fully double, almost button like, bright yellow flowers often with green centres.

Flowers April to July

Loves a well drained but moist soil in light shade. It's a good summer ground cover but can be invasive at times.

Unlikely to come true from seed.