PlantFiles: Trumpet Vine
Campsis x tagliabuana 'Madame Galen'

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campsis (KAMP-sis) (Info)
Species: x tagliabuana (tag-lee-ah-boo-AH-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Madame Galen

Thumbnail #6 of Campsis x tagliabuana by Happenstance

By ArianesGrandma
Thumbnail #7 of Campsis x tagliabuana by ArianesGrandma

Negative cecilsolly On Jun 23, 2013, cecilsolly from Edmonds, WA wrote:

Bought plant from respected local nursery. Planted on n. side of property along the s. side of fence in part sun to full sun area. Some shade provided by mature birch in back yard, but not in shadow of the house.After moderate growth, (Where is rapid growth?) and 3 yrs, but no blossoms, took pics back to nursery. Was told it needed 3 to 4 yrs to "get going" and would then run rampant. It is now 5 yrs + (purchased April 08) and a little more growth (about 5-6 ft tall on a trellis but no sign of buds/blossoms. Have tried Ak. fish fertilizer in reg. and "More Bloom" formulas with no blooming results. I must agree with other customers that it is essentially a waste of time. Reading comments seems to point to hot summer areas for the best chance of any blooms. Seattle WA doesn't qualify for that category. I think I bought a sterile plant.

Neutral plantgnome1 On Sep 2, 2012, plantgnome1 from nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Had this for three years with nominal growth. I decided to pot it and place the pot next to a pine tree with more sun. This year it has climbed the Pine tree. I expect it will flower next year. I check it weekly for errant runners and wrap those around the Pine as well. The area around this potted plant is all Ivy. If it decides to throw runners into the Ivy I would gladly let it go as I hate the Ivy which I inherited from the neighbor whose entire back yard is Ivy. At least this is supposed to get flowers. Will report back next year.

Negative beazert On Feb 26, 2012, beazert from Decatur, TX wrote:

Beautiful flowers, attracts hummingbirds. Easy to grow. Very invasive in the lawn and impossible to get rid of--it pops up everywhere. After five years, it was breaking the latticework apart. The suckers attaching themselves on the 4" cedar posts took the paint right off when I pulled down the vines--I had to sand the posts down to remove the damage. I have cut it to the ground, drilled the stump and poured in stump killer--to no avail. Roundup doesn't begin to eradicate it.

Neutral Clary On Oct 26, 2010, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I had removed this plant after 2 years in the ground but have since dug out shoots over the past few years, so apparently there is some root in the ground that I can't get. I've decided that instead of encouraging the root to travel underground I will allow the plant to grow where I originally planted it and I will keep it pruned like my wisteria (that was the original plan). I wanted the privacy and hummingbirds.

Several of the neighbors have established trumpet vines of various varieties and a few have been pruned to woody trunks like a wisteria. These are neat and attractive and do not seem to be spreading as long as they are maintained.

Negative DianneSlipkid On May 6, 2009, DianneSlipkid from Oak Harbor, WA wrote:

Mine was planted years ago by a south wall of my house and no matter how much I tend it, it's only bloomed once in the 3 years I've been here. Although its wood looks good on the trellis, I'm constantly trying to keep the new shoots out of the gutters, off the siding in the summer, and the suckers always need digging up.

If it doesn't bloom this year, I'll either cut it to the ground and see what happens next year, or I'll replace it with a climbing rose that can reward my efforts by actually producing flowers.

Negative mjolner88 On Oct 11, 2008, mjolner88 from Bellingham, WA wrote:

I bought one of these "hybrids" by accident at the local nursery for father's day. Before I bought it, I checked the tag 10 times to make sure it was the "native" campsis radicans. After giving it to my dad, and planting it together in his yard, my dad noticed that in tiny 3 point writing, it said "Madame Galen" on the back of the tag. All the other trumpet vines from the same company had the hybrid name right on the front of the tag...not this one.

Needless to say, I wouldn't call this a trumpet vine - it doesn't climb. I've never seen a "vine" that has to be manually draped over things once a day. The only way this vine will climb, is if YOU take a tube of super-glue, and stick the branches to what you want it to "climb" on. What good is this vine for an old man that can hardly walk?

You always hear about how amazing F1 "Hybrid Vigor" can be, but in this case, both species have been "dumbed down"...

While this vine grew over 15' feet, it looks like a pile of weeds that have been raked up into a pile and then accidentally kicked. When I think "vine" I think of something that climbs...I don't think "ground cover".

Positive azrobin On Aug 2, 2008, azrobin from Scottsdale, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

In AZ, it loves the heat. This is the 3rd year for mine. I gave it a severe pruning this spring (almost tempted to yank it) and have tendrils AND runners everywhere. It's blooming prufusely now. I just dug up 4 runners and planted them. 2 from underground runners and 2 from where the leaf node touches the floor and roots itself. Only the 2 that I had cut from underground runners survived.
Beautiful vine, self clinging but make sure you have room for it to climb! Give it time.

I suppose it may only be invasive in some zones?

Positive jtriggs1941 On Jul 1, 2007, jtriggs1941 from Pickerington, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant was growing here when I bought my house. Finally I let it grow instead of tearing it out and it has bloomed every year since. It is invasive as I am always pulling up new shoots but it is very pretty so I put up with the inconvenience. I only let it grow up my pergola, up a shepherd's hook and up a fence and it looks gorgous.

Positive dicentra63 On Jun 25, 2007, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

My campsis is trained up against an old clothesline post. It has been blooming quite well for six years.

Some vines fail to flower because they get too much nitrogen, so they put all their energy into foliage instead of flowers. My soil is nitrogen-poor, so that might be why I get the blooms.

Neutral mattlwfowler On Jun 16, 2007, mattlwfowler from Walhalla, SC wrote:

Let me state that the likely reason most people's specimens do not flower is because the plant was likely propagated from new growth rather than mature.

In the case of campsis, the plant must reach the top of the structure that they occupy in order to flower significantly. However, cuttings taken from mature wood usually flower early and profusely. Therefore, it is not necessarily the type of plant in general that is bad, but just the particular specimen that was not propagated properly.

Positive lunahumming On Apr 26, 2007, lunahumming from Austin, TX wrote:

I LOVE my trumpet vine. It took about 3 years for it to put out flowers, but now it produces beautifully. Mine is located in full sun and during the summer I need to keep an eye on it as far as watering goes because you tend to forget to water it (because it's so hardy) and then one day it's just drooping.
I grew my trumpet vine in El Paso, Texas as well which is very arid. I actually think it does better under more arid conditions.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 17, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Campsis tagliabuana 'Madame Galen' RED TRUMPET VINE Dec (z5) (Hum)
Arching sprays of deep salmon-red flowers during late summer & dark-green compound foliage make this hardy vine a beautiful sight for human or hummingbird eyes. Sun/Med-Dry

Negative ncbirdnerd On Jun 8, 2006, ncbirdnerd from Pisgah Forest, NC wrote:

I have this vine planted and trained on my deck. This is the third season for it and the leaves and stem growth are healthy, but like one of the other writers, I have yet to see a bloom. I like the vine, but if it does not bloom this year, I will replace it.

Positive nevadagdn On Mar 28, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I haven't seen bloom yet, but this plant has only been in the ground for two years.

Negative sharmoogle On May 29, 2004, sharmoogle from Independence, OH wrote:

I bought Madame Galens (red-orange) from a local nursery several years ago and planted it in a sunny location on a trellis next to our garage. The vine never flowered, but kept sending out new shoots, becoming extremely invasive. It even started growing underneath the siding on our garage. Although the woody vine looks somewhat picturesque (Japanese like) on the metal trellis, today hubby and I dug it out and got rid of it for good. What a waste of time and effort all of these years for an invasive vine that never bloomed! We're replacing it with a clematis.

Scottsdale, Arizona