Scrub Dayflower, Slender Dayflower, Whitemouth Dayflower, Hierba de Pollo

Commelina erecta

Family: Commelinaceae (ko-mel-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Commelina (kom-uh-LIN-uh) (Info)
Species: erecta (ee-RECK-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Commelina erecta var. erecta

Cole Camp, Missouri

Elephant Butte, New Mexico

Santa Fe, New Mexico

Manorville, New York

Arlington, Texas (2 reports)

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Bertram, Texas

Hereford, Texas

Lampasas, Texas

Liberty Hill, Texas

On Sep 14, 2012, hooligan_angel from Arlington, TX wrote:

I found this plant growing between boulders in a very hot sunny area of my new yard in very poor soil where other things would not grow. Love the flowers, so we kept it when we landscaped that area. Now a tended, watered area it spread quite a bit. Took cuttings and tried it out near the Koi pond in a shady area... Spread beautifully down the waterfall :-) blooms every day since Spring in dry sun, shady water garden, soil-free jars of water in my bathroom and kitchen windows, between rocks near the front door :-) most find it invasive so do be cautious in formal gardens... We enjoy a more natural garden and i LOVE seeing it's dainty blue flowers all over the yard :-) didn't know the name of it until today. Thanx Dave'sGarden!

On Aug 20, 2012, paula_p from Brazoria, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

One of the most invasive WEEDS that grows on the gulf coast. A constant battle to keep this weed from taking over!

On May 27, 2011, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got this in a trade w/ a lovely DGer and it got no respect the first year. I watered when I remembered and it stayed unprotected during winter. Having read that it may be invasive, I planted it in a hanging basket to avoid problems down the road. I'm impressed w/ the beautiful blue flowers, but it is not coming out of the pot!

On Feb 19, 2009, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

very invasive down here--I battle it every year!

On Mar 8, 2005, DawnRain from Bartow, FL wrote:

This is a beautiful wild flower native to Florida. I have been experimenting with it, hoping I could increase the size of the bloom. Natural here, but more of a problem are the commelina that grow as a vining matt. The bloom is smaller, but still that lovely color.

On Mar 7, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Found in sandy, rocky areas, open woods and gravel flats from Eastern CO to southeastern AZ, NM, and TX...also, somewhat in the eastern US in waste places.

The Spanish name, Hierba de Pollo, means 'herb of the chicken'

On Nov 16, 2003, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Commelina erecta is a native plant from the southeastern and south-central United States south into central America. Although it is an increaser with disturbance, it is an attractive wildflower of natural areas, particularly on dry, sandy soils. This is an example of a species which is native in the United States, but an an invasive exotic in South America.

On Nov 14, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This is a common invasive species in North America and the humid southern half of South America, where it colonized firstly as an ornamental plant, then became invasive. This plant can compete against some grasses over naked fertile soil, and win sometimes. I had this plant growing in my containers once, and had a lot of work to get rid of it.

But I can say that the flower is really nice, though. The sky blue collor is not very common, and is, of course, way more pleasant than most of invasive weeds.

It can be planted on moist, rich soil, under full sun to partial shade. Its frost resistant. I wouldnt grow this plant, but it may be an interesting choice as a ground cover.