PlantFiles: Purple Fringed Loosestrife
Lysimachia ciliata 'Purpurea'

Family: Primulaceae
Genus: Lysimachia (ly-si-MAK-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: ciliata (sil-ee-ATE-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Purpurea
Additional cultivar information: (aka Atropurpurea)

Pale Yellow

Thumbnail #5 of Lysimachia ciliata by saya

Thumbnail #6 of Lysimachia ciliata by saya

Thumbnail #7 of Lysimachia ciliata by saya

Negative coriaceous On Mar 15, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I've admired the dark maroon spring foliage of this plant, though it tends to fade to green as the season progresses. The yellow summer flowers are small but not unattractive. This is a common pass along plant here.

However, this is not a good neighbor to other plants in a mixed border. It spreads aggressively underground by shallow rhizomes and easily overwhelms its neighbors unless it receives regular attention and maintenance. A root barrier could be used to reduce maintenance. I would recommend planting it in a sunken 10 gal (or larger) container with the bottom cut out.

The species is native to most of North America, from Alaska to Florida, and no threat to wild areas here. In the garden, it's a thug.

Neutral Cahow On Jul 7, 2012, Cahow from HARBERT, MI wrote:

As gardener's, we've ALL heard that phrase: "A weed is a plant growing where you didn't plant it." I'm a landscape architect and 15 years ago, I planted Lysimachia ciliata "Purpurea" in two clients gardens...and I have mixed opinions about it. In garden A) after 10 years of being VERY well behaved, it took over the entire perennial garden one Spring! However, both my client and I didn't have the heart to tear any of it out, as the garden had NEVER looked better! The 200 tulips I had planted the year before were intermixed with vibrant purple leaves, making the over-all viewing one that rivaled Monet's gardens...and I've been to Giverny. After the tulips had all bloomed and been dug out (so new ones could be planted the following year), we both agreed to dig out 1/2 of the Lysimachia. Now, 5 years later, this is the standard M.O. for this garden: dig out where it's not wanted, prune back the tall ones in the foreground, and then allow it to intermingle with the remaining garden. It works spectacularly. That's a 5 star garden! Now, B) the other garden I planted it in, there is NOTHING remaining except Ostrich ferns and L. c. "Purpurea". That's a 2 star rating...or is it? I've cared for this garden for 20 years, and actually introduced some of the L. c. from the 1st client's garden, over 12 years ago. However, this client has allowed their mulberry tree to overgrow and kill off their entire garden, so 99% of the perennials I had growing in the bed have been shaded out. I must admit, the virtual sea of Lysimachia with the Ferns is stunning and we now use it as a back drop to pots of coleus and begonias, so I guess it IS a 5 star planting. But, it's clear that if left alone, it will take over where other plants fail. By the way, my client is one of those nasty "tree huggers" that believes that trimming a tree goes against the rules of Nature. No educating her about the health and insurance costs of damage will change her mind. Oh well, it's not my liability and as long as she's okay with going from 12 hours of sunlight to none, I'm okay with it.

Negative Malus2006 On Apr 13, 2011, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I agree - quite invasive - they may seem behave themselves the first few years then they grow out of control. They have rhizomes about a foot in average, maybe longer that shoots in all directions. The only good thing is that the rhizomes are not that deep - about 3 to 5 inches deep.

Negative flint_tx On Apr 12, 2009, flint_tx from Flint, TX wrote:

Texas heat plus moist location = invasive!

Positive Johnebook On Sep 8, 2007, Johnebook wrote:

Lysimachia ciliata is very well behaved in my 5a garden in central Indiana. It never reseeds. It multiplies very slowly and I simply dig out the edge plants to keep my clump the size I want. It prefers semi-shade to full sun. In full sun it needs to be watered every second or third day in hot, dry weather. The dark purple color is gorgeous.

Neutral dicentra63 On Jun 28, 2007, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

My plants have persevered for five years despite the best efforts of the Stachys bizantina to smother them. They look worse each successive year, though, and I suppose one year they won't bother coming up at all.

UPDATE: 4 Jul 2011After three wet, cool, springs, my Lysimachia are looking quite healthy and are living in peace with the Stachys.

/photos/36459782@N00/5902377139
/photos/36459782@N00/5902347853

Hey, if you don't want them to become invasive, plant them in heavy, nitrogen-free clay, like I did! :D

Neutral RichHurley On May 5, 2007, RichHurley from New Freedom, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Actually, the purple loosestrife that is causing problems by crowding out native wetland plants is Lythrum salicaria, not Lysimachia cliliata. Lysimachia ciliata or fringed loosestrife is a North American native. Lythrum salicaria is native to Eurasia.

Positive saya On Jul 12, 2003, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have it in my garden for the third year. Yes, it grows quick and can take over a garden. But I just removed the not wanted stalks and so it stays a compact bush. It's not selfseeding I've noticed. It's a very nice gardenplant. The leaves are red and stay red when it blooms with little yellow flowers. It gives me pleasure for the whole bloomingseason. We had very heavy rains and it did not flop.

Neutral jkom51 On Jul 11, 2003, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is in a very competitive bed, set amidst Plectranthus argentatus, groundcover polygonum, Lobelia fulgens, Swedish Ivy, and varigated vinca minor. It wintered over with rather attractive brown fall coloring, but was very short (less than 6" tall) for many months. Although only a year old it came back strong in spring and is now 3' high.

Needs staking as stems tend to flop over. It is a good looking plant although invasive in wet areas. Here in our dry CA summers it is easier to keep under control. With the dark green leaves, it needs a light background to set it off as the flowers, although multiple, are very small in size.

Juneau, Alaska
Harbert, Michigan
Mason, Michigan
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
Menahga, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)
Saint Paul, Minnesota