Easter Lily Cactus

Echinopsis oxygona

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinopsis (ek-in-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: oxygona (ok-SY-goh-nuh) (Info)
Synonym:Echinopsis adolfofriedrichii
Synonym:Echinopsis derenbergii
Synonym:Echinopsis eyriesii
Synonym:Echinopsis multiplex
Synonym:Echinopsis tubiflora

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Chandler, Arizona

Goodyear, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Tucson, Arizona (3 reports)

Brentwood, California

La Vergne, Tennessee

San Angelo, Texas

On Nov 13, 2014, SuccieFan2014 from Perth
Australia wrote:

I have been growing mine in Western Australia, just in pots of sand, and a dose of liquid fertilizer about once per year (probably needs more!!??) Mine flower around October/November each year. When the flower first opens it has a gorgeous subtle fragrance, and within a day, the flower dies. I have upoaded photos :-D
These are very hardy - I love them!!

On Mar 13, 2014, 1077011947 from Greer, SC wrote:

IT is much hardier than rated. My neighbor has a very large one that blooms profusely and stays outside 365 days a year. IT went thru 5F this winter, zero damage. IT is in large pot on porch stoop roofless. FACING WEST. This is in Greer, SC.

On Jul 29, 2010, zzwerzy from Santa Rosa, CA wrote:

Have posted a time-lapse video of E. oxygona in bloom. Search "Desert Dance zzwerzy" at YouTube. Thanks to Dave's Garden for help identifying it!

In confirmation of earlier comment: Yes, the blooms have a fine, faint, sweet aroma with complex undertones.

On Oct 16, 2009, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

More synonyms of this plant are:
Echinopsis turbinata
Cereus multiplex
Cereus oxygonus
Cereus adolfofriedrichii

On Jul 2, 2007, msironi from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

The only thing I have to add is that the flowers, though short lived, are very subtly fragrant. I wonder if others have had this same experience.

On Sep 28, 2006, promethean_spar from Union City, CA wrote:

I've had one of these for about 10 years, it's now a 20" diameter cluster with about 20 heads. It handled several winters in Davis, CA, including some light snow, so it is at least good for all of zone 9.

Water tends to pool in their growth point, so they should be watered at the base and kept out of winter rains or they may rot. This happened to mine and I figured the mother plant would stop growing and just kick out babies, but the growth point actually re-generated in the calous and kept going.

This species is much nicer than the regular easter lilly cactus, Echinopsis oxygona, IMO.

On Aug 29, 2006, DaveN22 from London
United Kingdom wrote:

Much hardier than this site suggests. It can come through a cold, wet UK winter without any protection, and survive frequent frosts (down to -3.9C last winter, and 10 or more nights below -2C).

On Aug 17, 2006, phrostyphish from Tuscaloosa, AL wrote:

I live in central Alabama, and have grown these for around fifteen years. They've stayed on the east side of my house, on the edge of our carport. Receiving full sun in the morning and partial sun for the rest of the day, these cacti have thrived. Reading that they're hardy from about zone 10 southward, I laugh... these stayed outside all winter. Heck, they've never been brought indoors.

I've done nothing special - no fertilizing, no regular watering... heck, I mostly forgot about them until a friend wanted some and I ended up dividing one of the larger specimens. A few babies fell off during the process, so I just stuck them in some old pots with even older dirt.

That was back in March... it's now August here, and I've got my first blooms in fifteen years..... read more

On Jul 22, 2004, nrgxtc from San Clemente, CA wrote:

Amazing beautiful flowers. They attract humming birds initially but I've never seen a humming bird come back for a second glance. In Redding, they bloom at night and last only about 24hours but in San Clemente, they last for about 3 days. They also bloom in SC from Easter time through late summer. If you let the blooms fall off on their own, you'll have more babies. If you don't take the babies off after they're a few years old, eventually, they suffocate the "Mother" plant. Some of my babies are about the size of romaine tomatoes and they still get full size blooms....Amazing!