Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Great White'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Great White

Collegedale, Tennessee

Cascade Valley, Washington

On Aug 28, 2013, w00kash from Cracow
Poland wrote:

I grow 'Great White' this year and I am satisfied with the results, as I described on my blog, please visit: http://bez-ogrodek-blog.blogspot.com/2013/08/kolorowo-na-tal...

On Sep 5, 2011, Ericsewnsew from Cascade Valley, WA wrote:

Pro- This tomato grows impressive, disease-resistent plants, with equally large, impressive, cream or pale yellow beefsteak tomatoes. I planted in my 'worst' position for growing, as I'd filled the garden with other varieties first, but it thrived there. I can only imagine what it would do in a good location.
Con- I was disappointed in the flavor- not as sweet or fruity as others' reviews suggest, and so I cannot recommend as a delicious slicer, tho it looks beautiful!
I am making sauce from them now, and if the sauce is tasty, will grow again next year, if only because of their ease and fun to grow and abundant production amounts.

On Jan 15, 2009, dalmatian_fan87 from Cascade, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

have gotten some pretty big fruits from this plant.

although it tends to get blossom end rot easier than most types ive tried.

On Jul 15, 2008, ast117 from Nebo, KY wrote:

Every year I try to plant varieties that I have never tried before. I bought this plant (had to buy 4 in a pack) for curiosity and glad that I did! All 4 plants are loaded with tomatoes and at the moment about 6 feet tall and having to re-stake! The taste is one of the best our family has eaten. Next year this tomato will have a place in our garden.

On Mar 8, 2008, LenaBeanNZ from Brisbane
Australia (Zone 10b) wrote:

This tomato looks and tastes wonderful, better tasting than other yellow beefsteaks I have grown. (By better tasting I mean sweeter and more intensely flavoured than the often bland yellows) But I only managed to harvest about 7 lovely tomatoes off my 9 plants, plus a number of strange looking smallish or BER infected fruit. Cracking and catfacing was minimal. Some fruits turned deep yellow, a few stayed pale, and on a others I noticed a beautiful pinkish blush on the blossom end.
Some of the plants were small and sickly looking and didnt even set fruit at all. Of the 23 varieties I grew this year, the performance of GW was the poorest by far. Its saving grace was the quality of the few "good" fruit I did get. It was my first time growing this variety, so I will give it another cha... read more

On Sep 10, 2006, MikeyJoe from Clarksville, IN wrote:

As far as flavor is concerned I prefer a good red, black, or purple Tomato with a stout earthy flavor. Many people who have sampled my Tomatoes absolutely love Great White.

The appearance is way above average, creamy yellow/off white. Some, but not all of mine have a pink blush at the blossom end like a Viva Lindsey's Kentucky Heirloom. I have grown only 8 or 10 other varieties that I would rank above Great White on the appearance scale.

Production here in Southern Indiana is a little above average for a large slicing variety. Great White has a permanent spot in my Tomato line-up.

On Aug 1, 2005, wadefromnj from Englishtown, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love these. They will be a permanent addition to my Tomato Garden. They are not really white but a beautiful deep pale yellow (see picture) when ripe. I like a more mild tomato (Roma are my favorite to give you an idea) but these are delicious in a salad giving a more acidic genuine tomato taste while still being mild. Yield for me has been only fair but I got hit with some curley top virus so its hard to judge how much yields are off norm.

On Dec 16, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a large pale yellow beefsteak. It grows a huge vine competitive with the Brandywines (Pink and Yellow). Flavor is sweet but mild, very good unless you want bite in a tomato. Fruit is smoother with less twisting and cracking than Ponderosas. It isn't white but few are. It grows well here in middle Georgia where many will not produce at all.