PlantFiles: Bugle, Bugleweed, Carpet Bugle
Ajuga reptans 'Bronze Beauty'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ajuga (a-JOO-guh) (Info)
Species: reptans (REP-tanz) (Info)
Cultivar: Bronze Beauty

Groundcovers

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Partial to Full Shade

Medium Blue
Dark Blue

Burgundy
Shiny/Glossy-Textured

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By growin

Thumbnail #6 of Ajuga reptans by Gabrielle

By FlowerManiac
Thumbnail #7 of Ajuga reptans by FlowerManiac

Neutral Gabrielle On Jul 3, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Not one of my favorite Ajugas, but it does form a nice living mulch when in an area that it is happy with. Otherwise it does not do so well. Blooms in May in my garden.

Positive ogon On Jun 17, 2011, ogon from Paradise, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Ajuga makes a very nice groundcover. It quickly forms a dense mat and the rizomes can be easily guided to travel in the direction you want. If it spreads to where you don't want it, the roots are fairly shallow so it's easy to pop up from the ground. I have it planted as a "green mulch" beneath and between my hostas, and the bronze color contrasts nicely with the blue and chartreaus colors especially. It's evergreen, so the area continues to look nice when the hostas are hiding for winter, but it still allows them to pop back up in the spring. The pretty blue flower spikes are an added bonus!

Positive RustyThumb On Jun 10, 2011, RustyThumb from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

My plant is one year old now. Last year it looked stressed and I didn't like the location of it so I was going to move it. However, this spring it's formed a tight circle about 12 inches across and the plant that was towering over it and crowding it out didn't survive the winter so this little one gets to stay put. It's right on the front border of my garden, slightly hanging over onto the walkway. I think it's so attractive that I bought a four pack and I'm going to put it in a couple of other locations. I will keep an eye on it now that I've read some people have found it aggressive. Thus far, this single plant seems quite tame and I see no babies.

Negative cmgah On Aug 18, 2010, cmgah from Arlington, MA wrote:

EXTREMELY aggressive, to the point of chocking out other plants near it. I would NEVER use it again, I have spent countless hours digging up bushels of rhizome runners...they look like snakes! And it keeps coming back...it seems to be strangling my roses and now is invading the lawn. I tried no water (a suggestion I found online) in that bed for a few weeks, it didn't help...just stressed my other plants. All this from a tiny $3 plant; it has become the bane of my garden...don't fall for it, leave it at the nursery.

Positive KayGrow On Apr 12, 2010, KayGrow from Montgomery, AL wrote:

This year a friend of mine discovered 3 of her plants have white blooms. This is the most common burgundy variety, not variegated leaves, and it has been established for many years. Has anyone else seen this? What causes the new bloom color?

Positive green76thumb On Aug 31, 2009, green76thumb from Radford, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've fallen in love with this little plant that I at first hated. It didn't work well in my terrarium (poor lighting). If memory serves me right, I tried to kill it and then took pity on it and relocated it.
I must have planted it in the right spot, because it formed a nice, tight 'living mulch' in the shady bed where it now grows. How wonderful to have a bed that I don't need to keep replenishing with messy woodchip mulch!
I think the color (burgundy & green) and the crinkly texture of the leaves are just beautiful! I'm not too fond of the flower color with the foliage color (to me they don't match), but the foliage alone is great!
Very easy to transplant too!

Neutral pinkshoe On Aug 17, 2008, pinkshoe from Hibbing, MN (Zone 3a) wrote:

Got this beautiful ground cover at a local nursery a week or so ago... Planted it in a nice shady area and looks like the babies are already starting to root, however something is eating it? Was my understanding that nothing would eat it but something is eating mine... Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Well I have discovered what was eating it, its SLUGS and they do love it... put in a beer trap and have over 100 of the little varments.

Positive KaylyRed On May 28, 2008, KaylyRed from Watertown, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a pretty, carefree ground cover that enjoys a prominent spot in my garden. It forms a nice dense mat of foliage that most weeds will not penetrate. Excessive spreading or invasiveness has not been a problem for me; ajuga has not tried to "jump" the rock edging on my garden.

My only complaint about ajuga is that it looks mushy, dead and unattractive until later in the spring. Has been slow to wake up for me.

Neutral docturf On Sep 4, 2007, docturf from Conway, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

Although this plant can be quite attractive, it is not advisable to place it in a "dedicated" flower bed -- it can become very invasive and quickly crowd out other species. In addition, it is also susceptible to Southern Blight, a soil -borne fungus which is fairly common in the soils of the lower south. Docturf

Positive zak1962 On Sep 3, 2007, zak1962 from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

New to gardening last spring (2006) I planted Ajuga in a 100 ft. long area between the street and my sidewalk along the side of my house. I have had quite a different experience with it than listed above.

First of all, I do allow the soil to dry out on occassion and it has flourished. My Ajuga is still flowering into September as I trim back the spent stalks about once every couple of weeks.

I recently began removing some of the mulch I laid around the plants initially to allow the plant access to the soil for rooting purposes. The mulch I used was pretty 'chunky' and in some cases the run off plants were unable to reach the soil and root. The parent plant apparently shuts them down once they are formed. I was constantly removing dead run offs.

I plan on mowing the area down in late fall. This past spring many of my plants struggled to get out from under the rather dense, crusty remains of last years growth and several of them died. I think the fact that I live on a corner city lot that experiences a lot of wind had something tio do with this. The Ajuga I planted a small patch in front of my house didn't have the same problems.

Positive Lady_fern On Oct 17, 2006, Lady_fern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Loves dense clay soil! The longer I have it, the more I love it. It's so easy and low-maintenance. It fills in its area with crinkly bronzey foliage so well. Slugs and other pests leave it alone so it's always attractive.

Positive lmelling On Oct 18, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have this cultivar mixed with the burgundy cultivar in my back garden. I've found it to be a (welcomed) aggressive little addition as it helps keep weeds down. The blue flowers in mid May are a welcome addition to the spring flowers and the whole plant dies back down to the leaves once the other flowers take over.

I find it holds up well to foot traffic when I have to go through the garden to weed. It transplants well and is a very useful plant. I have this in an area that is moist to dry, depending on the year - it lives on equally well in either situation.

Neutral Ladyfern On Aug 4, 2003, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

This little groundcover will quickly spread into the lawn, so a wide edging is recommended. The hummingbirds love the pretty blue flowers, but out of bloom it's not very outstanding. Not tolerant of drought or foot traffice, but does form a dense, weed-proof mat.

Mobile, Alabama