PlantFiles: Corkscrew Willow, Curly Willow, Pekin Willow, Hankow Willow, Dragon's Claw Willow
Salix matsudana 'Tortuosa'

Family: Salicaceae (sal-i-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salix (SAL-iks) (Info)
Species: matsudana (mat-soo-DAY-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Tortuosa

Thumbnail #6 of Salix matsudana by growin

By catcollins
Thumbnail #7 of Salix matsudana by catcollins

Positive Ed45 On Aug 14, 2010, Ed45 from Salisbury, NC wrote:

I live in central North Carolina. I planted my Corkscrew Willow in the spring of 2005. I received the tree through The Arbor Day Foundation. The tree was nothing more than a long stick, barely a foot long. I planted it close to a downspout in my front yard. Needless to say, it has done very well in that location. The tree has reached over 15 feet tall already, and still growing. Everyone who sees it loves it. It gracefully arches over a portion of my driveway, providing shade and privacy to the front of my house. The tree grows very fast, and is a good choice in a "barren new subdivision". Ironically, the name of my subdivision has the word "Forest" in it, but is basically devoid of any native trees. It is a clear-cut into a natural wooded area. Anyway, if I had to re-plant a Corkscrew Willow, I would keep it away from any sidewalks or driveways as the roots seem to stay on or close to the surface of the ground. This will eventually cause problems with your concrete sidewalks or driveways because of the roots cracking the concrete. Otherwise, the tree is beautiful. Spring green leaf in the spring, and bright yellow leafs in the fall. In the winter, the corkscrew shape of the branches are really starkly beautiful, and I up light them for a striking display!
The tree does drop a few leafs and twigs, but not enough to rake. I have pruned the tree of it's lowest branches, and I think it will be a nice shaped tree. I highly recommend this tree. Enjoy!

Neutral altoclef On Sep 23, 2009, altoclef from Los Altos, CA wrote:

From San Jose, California

In order to avoid invasive roots, I planted a curly willow in a large pot. It grows, but it does not thrive. It may be possible that it does not get consistent moisture. If I can make it happy in the pot, it will be beautiful.

Positive catcollins On Jan 19, 2009, catcollins from West Friendship, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

When we bought this house, the corkscrew willow was about 8' high and wide. I loved it even then and insisted that the patio, deck and ponds be installed around it, since I refused to chop it down. Seven years later, it is 20' high and wide and a centerpiece for our outdoor entertainment area.

The leaves emerge yellow-green and contorted then go dark green through summer. Fall color is yellow. The twisted branches and striped bark are beautiful all winter. Only some branches weep, and only gently.

This tree sways softly in every breeze. Expect smaller branches to clutter the area, or pick them up and incorporate into bouquets! Upcut to make room for a sitting area and enjoy the shade. Leave some weeping branches in place to soften the outline.

Positive ccmata On Nov 12, 2008, ccmata from Littleton, CO wrote:

I also live in Denver and have 2 corkscrews. One of them is growing about 45 feet high the other is about 25 feet. It's always been a problem finding someone to properly prune them. Every tree service that comes by tells me these trees are the only ones they've seen. They don't do well when we get a big snow fall when the leaves are still on the tree. They also are the last trees in the area to lose the leaves. I'd love to know if anyone has any information on properly trimming them.
thanks in advance.

Positive dreamwoodck On Oct 19, 2008, dreamwoodck from Denver, CO wrote:

My tree is a chopped-up version of the one depicted in the Vancouver BC Botanical Gardens photo. I say chopped up because it has obviously been cut back to eliminate damage and by someone harvesting the twisty branches. When I bought the house (1993), the tree had been long suffering from a disease or fungus that caused it to lose nearly all its bark. Also, the bole was partially rotted and bug-eaten. Still, about half of the remaining few branches would green up every spring. it obviously wanted to live, until this year (2008) when nothing grew back.
I'm sorry I didn't learn until now that I could have cloned it from cuttings.
The neighbors tell me it is a "rare Chinese corkscrew willow" which a missionary to China gave to the original owner when the house was built in 1922. Given my tree is the only one I know having been growing in Denver and having at least three Chinese names, I tend to believe the legend as presented to me.
This was growing out on the lawn next to a 3' slope. As my sprinkler system has been toast, it thrived despite sporatic watering and Denver's infrequent rainfall.

Positive HgNi2006 On Feb 13, 2007, HgNi2006 from Vallejo, CA wrote:

This tree was already here when I bought the house, otherwise my H would not have allowed me to plant it for its invasive roots. I am so glad it was here because I love it! It was about 6' a year ago, now it's about 8' and is the most gorgeous tree imaginable, even in the winter with no leaves. It's up against a fence so I can see it being a problem in a few years but I'm sure I can prune it.

Positive jhnyboy On May 28, 2006, jhnyboy from Tunkhannock, PA wrote:

This tree grows on the outer edge of our property in Tunkhannock Pa. I wasn't sure what it was, but was fascinated by it from the moment I saw it. neat branches,and leaves. I am going to investigate propagation of this tree.

Ours is about twenty feet high.

Positive willowz On Apr 18, 2004, willowz wrote:

Hi! The corkscrew grows well and easily survives winters in the Niagara Region of Ontario, Canada. I have about 8 growing now on my property and I am preparing 40+ more for spring planting. They provide a great visual break in the landscape with their soft green texture. I find them to be comfortable in wet areas and surprisingly drought resistant at the same time. When first planted, regular watering can give you a beautiful-looking tree in just a few years.

Clovis, California