Scarlet Skullcap, Costa Rican Skullcap
Scutellaria costaricana

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Scutellaria (skew-teh-LARE-ee) (Info)
Species: costaricana (kos-tah-REE-kan-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Scutellaria argentata

Orange

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Sumterville, Florida

Kailua Kona, Hawaii

Providence, Rhode Island

On Sep 26, 2014, yoli2508 from Reynoldsville, PA wrote:

I got this plant from clippings. I put them in water until they rooted. It even bloomed while in water. Once it rooted and the roots were long and strong I planted it in a hanging basket and kept indoors through winter months and put outdoors during summer. It is doing extremly well. I didn't know anything about this plant. (I just, today, looked it up on line until I was able to find the name and information on it, hence this posting). I noticed that it required a lot of water so I kept the soil moist. The plant took off like wild fire. I've had it for about 2 years now & have given away clippings to family and friends. However only a friend that moved to Arizona has been able to have success with it.

On Nov 29, 2003, duliticola from Longfield, Kent
United Kingdom (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful plant but hard to come by. Flowers all year if temperature kept around 15C or above. Does quite well on bright windowsill. Have never had seed.

On Jul 19, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This is an interesting looking herb. The dark green leaves look like plastic. Really, I wasnt exactly "experienced" in plants when I saw it for the first time, so it took me a while to find out that the plant was real. The flowers are superb. Clusters of long tube shaped, orange and yellow flowers may appear on the top or on the foliar axils. I highly recomend putting it on a container protected from direct sun, in light shade, and also protected from the wind. Plant it on well drained organic soil, and do not let it dry between waterings.