PlantFiles: Jade Climber, Jade Vine, Emerald Creeper, Flor-de-Jade, Blue Jade Vine, Turquois Jade Vine
Strongylodon macrobotrys

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Strongylodon (stron-GY-loh-don) (Info)
Species: macrobotrys (mak-ro-BOT-rees) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Green
Medium Blue

By grafting

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Thumbnail #1 of Strongylodon macrobotrys by sa_haiad

Thumbnail #6 of Strongylodon macrobotrys by PotEmUp

By van_in_nyc
Thumbnail #7 of Strongylodon macrobotrys by van_in_nyc

Positive orchidalley On Jun 24, 2012, orchidalley from Kapaa, HI wrote:

Two years ago we bought a blue Jade Vine after seeing it hanging from a tree in Hanalei on Kaua'i where we live. Now it's more than 50 feet long and it's very beautiful and needs very little water, and leaves stay on it all year. At present we're going to propagate it and try it in other places around our lot. I appreciated the comments on this site.I encourage other islanders to try this stunning plant but prune when needed asap. I'd agree it takes two years and the bloom is very early springtime and to think of it as a stunning vine type plant, very unusual. I love it in leis as well. The plant needs an artistic landscape plan when pruning, so have fun, you will enjoy this majestic bloom of color when it arrives.

Positive redmachine On Mar 31, 2012, redmachine from Galveston, TX wrote:

I just received and planted my jade vine in a large pot with a trellis.
I am very excited to see what will happen here in Galveston!
I wonder if there are any more of these growing on the island here.

Neutral koa On Aug 19, 2011, koa from Haiku, HI wrote:

I find the new growth on this vine to be especially fragile. A couple of new tips broke off during transit after I purchased it, despite my attempt to protect it. Also, wind has damaged new tips that I failed to secure to its support, even though it's planted on the leeward side of the house. Still, the beautiful flowers are more than worth the trouble.

Positive PlantLoverCA On Nov 15, 2010, PlantLoverCA from Alhambra, CA wrote:

I live in Southern California near Los Angeles and was wondering if the Jade Vine would grow in my area. I have had a lot of success with Gingers and Haliconias. I would love to add this to my collection but don't want to waste money if it won't survive a winter or bloom due to temperature and humidity. If anyone can comment, it would be much appreciated.

Positive jeri11 On Mar 19, 2010, jeri11 from Central, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I didn't have time to bring in this plant before the cold arrived here in Baton Rouge, La. and I thought that it was a goner!!! To my surprise after a record breaking cold we haven't seen in 25 years that dropped our temperature to a low of 17 degrees for over 10 hrs, my jade vine is budding back out and will be better than last year.

Neutral D66 On Feb 17, 2010, D66 from Bridgetown
Barbados wrote:

I was at St.James Parish Church harvest garden party and a plant was on sale which I purchase,as the seller had a small bloom which beauty cannot be discribed.( St.Parish church is the oldest church in Barbados and may be seen on stJames.truepath.com/index.atm ) I live on a small lot of land but I expect to relocate next year and will have plenty room and some trees so what advice can you give me for planting my jade climber so as to facilitate my move.

Positive jadefan On Jan 9, 2010, jadefan from Burbank, CA wrote:

Blooming Jade is so beautiful! I would like to know when the green Jade blooms in Hawaii. And how long the bloom lasts.
Thanks!

Positive judyparker On Jan 2, 2009, judyparker from Miami, FL wrote:

I have had my Jade Vine for almost 4 years now and I have to tell you that last year it was spectaular! I had probably close to a hundred blooms from mid Feb to mid April. It is planted at the base of a tree and ofcourse has taken over the tree but the tree (Rose Apple as I know it) has not been harmed, still blooms and bears it's fruit.
I got mine from Richard Lyons nursery and have bought another one (this one red) that I hope will bloom this year.
I have rooted cuttings with success and even had a seed this last year which I planted and 2 of the seeds I know of are alive and growing.

Neutral amygirl On Nov 11, 2008, amygirl from Miami, FL wrote:

The jade vine was available at the Ramble last weekend. The Tropical Flowering Tree Society sells it at their sales Mother Days' weekend each year at Fairchild. They have a website. Just Google them. Perhaps you can then contact a member directly to purchase one.

Positive cactusmike On Mar 2, 2008, cactusmike from Captiva, FL wrote:

I purchased several jade climbers (expensive), but the only one which succeeded was from a Delores in Homestead, Florida (also the cheapest.)

I planted the vine on the North side of my house in Captiva, Florida and it climbs a Veitchia Palm to get to a very strong pergola. The roots set in full shade, the area is well protected and the vine gets good water and sun resulting in leaves which are thick and healthy. The Vine has done wonderfully and I dump coffee grinds on its roots regularly for acidity.

Finally, after two years it has produced an inflorescence shoot (just one) and I eagerly await a flower raceme. I also recently fertilized with "Bloom Booster.'
Mike

Positive DCgirl On Jun 10, 2007, DCgirl from Weston, FL wrote:

June 5, 2007

I just returned from a trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica. The Jade Vine was growing there, on top of a mountain. This is where I saw it for the first time, and had the pleasure of viewing it with hummingbirds darting in and out. It has a most unusual color and appearance. I have been a fan of passionflowers for several years now, and had never seen this species before. What a special treat when the hummingbirds came to visit it!

Neutral jpjoe On Mar 3, 2007, jpjoe from Quezon City
Philippines wrote:

Jade Vine or Jade de Vine (Tayabak) originated in the Philippines. It used to be an endemic specie in the said country until the arrival of the Westerners. At present, Jade Vine is listed on the endangered species list of the Philippines. This is due to the destruction of Jade Vine's natural habitat and its continuous illegal exporting to other countries.

I've recently came from the University of the Philippines, Los Baņos, Laguna's Botanical Garden. There, researchers are further studying the pollination system of the said plant.

Positive randyfb On Mar 2, 2007, randyfb from Santa Barbara, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I visited the new conservatory at the Huntington Botanic Garden on March 1, 2007 and saw that their large Jade Vine is blooming for the first time. It is planted in the lower level of the tropical house and trained up along a walkway railing of the 2nd level. There were several inflorescences hanging down in full bloom and many more coming. A real treat to see this plant blooming in California!

Positive iiivar On Feb 8, 2005, iiivar from Fremont, CA wrote:

It's been seven years. I have a smallish greenhouse that I thought a 62 degree thermostat setting during winter would be enough. After a couple of years I switched from 30-10-10 to 0-10-10. No effect on getting blooms, but was probably a necessary prerequisite. Last year my housekeeper raised the thermostat to 68 and I've gotten flowers (and another $100/mo. on my utility bill). This year I've gotten >30 "spikes" and most will bloom! Bloom time seems to be Jan-March. My only problem now is that leaves are continually dropping, off, and I don't know if this is normal.

Positive seedpicker_TX On Jan 27, 2005, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have two of these that grow well for me in Texas. They are planted in the ground, on the north side of my house, underneath a porch, which is covered in clear sturdy polycarbonate. This helps to increase the humidity, and protect it from frost. We wrap the entire porch in plastic in the winter to keep it from freezing.
They are climbing all through the rafters, and seem quite happy, but no blooms, yet. My vines girth is only the width of my little pinky finger, so I guess they are not big enough, although they are huge.
I have read they need two different plants, for pollination to be successful, and set seed. Two clones of an identical plant, will not produce seed.
I was extremely fortunate to get both of mine as seeds, so hope to one day be able to produce more seeds. I think, actually, I'd be happy to just see a flower in person!

Neutral Bluebiu On Nov 4, 2004, Bluebiu wrote:

I have recently acquired a small plant of the Jade Vine.
On reading the notes here, it will apparently take over 2 years to flower. I live in Australia - sub tropical climate.

Positive hawaiiGuy On Aug 27, 2004, hawaiiGuy from Kailua Kona, HI wrote:

Aloha, I live in Kailua-Kona, HI., on "the big island", and this plant (as well as the red variety) are easy to grow here. So easy in fact, that I am amazed at its rarity here. I believe most gardeners cut it down before its 2nd year due to its vigorous nature. My plants (and cuttings I have given away) have rarely bloomed before they were 2 yrs old. More important I think is the girth of the trunk like base. The trunk needs to be at least 1/2" across before it sends out those beautiful (and unexpected) racemes. This plant does not bloom on new wood, so severe pruning occasionally is fine (and needed). Location is key to this plant and it needs a strong support or tree to grow upon. I have found they do perfectly growing upon mature Plumeria for support. Mine have gone well over the 40 ft suggested, and have in fact twined up a Samoan palm to over 60 ft.
Please be advised that the foliage causes a minor itching sensation so prune with your gloves on! Mine have never produced seed, but the plant roots very easily with semi-hardwood cuttings or simply laying a part of the vine under soil.
They bloom most heavily here in late winter and early spring. The flowers are the most stunning colors I have ever seen. The blue/green variety is nice, but it is a difficult color to incorporate into a landscape. Mine is growing upon a large white (singapore) plumeria. The red variety is easier to mix in, but it is also even more vigorous. With either variety, a repeat warning to be prepared to prune to control. Highly recommended and you will be in awe at its blooms.

Positive tropicalgaza On Aug 21, 2004, tropicalgaza from Culver City, CA wrote:

this vine will grow here in los angeles just fine, but the first year , it has to be covered with plastic, to keep it dry
after that it has a strong enough root stock to survive
2 years later it will flower!!
mine had 5 flowers, some over 5 feet long!.

Positive foodiesleuth On May 28, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

We have a friend in our village that has a huge vine of the blue-green jade on his perimeter fence facing the street. when it blooms its is espectacular. People just walk by to take a look at it.

Some people use the single blooms in making leis. There is also one with red blooms at the Nani Mau Gardens in Hilo.

I haven't tried to grow it, but it is beautiful!

Positive AfricanB On May 27, 2004, AfricanB from nelspruit
wrote:

I live in South Africa in an area with a sub-tropical climate.
The Jade Vine grows prolifically here and is usually grown in full sun. Make sure that the vine has space as the blooms are up to a metre long and need to hang like wisteria to really show off how spectacular they are! The plant grows quite easily from cuttings which I place in a pot with a nice loamy soil and a plastic bag over until rooting has taken place. The vine only matures enough to flower after two years. Believe me, it is worth the wait!

Positive Monocromatico On Jul 20, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I donīt know much about this climber. I know it comes from southeastern Asia and itīs hard to grow. I know only 2 places in my city where itīs planted, always forming large and dense coverings. The flowers are very beautiful. Long inflorescences (40-50cm long) with long, greenish-blue flowers that are attractive to birds. I wish to have one someday.

Chowchilla, California
Los Angeles, California
Oceanside, California
Boca Raton, Florida (2 reports)
Brandon, Florida
Captiva, Florida
Homestead, Florida
Key West, Florida
Loxahatchee, Florida
Miami, Florida (4 reports)
Mulberry, Florida