Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Beefmaster'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Beefmaster

Regular Leaf

Auburn, Alabama

Littleton, Colorado

Westbrook, Connecticut

Hollywood, Florida (2 reports)

Palm Bay, Florida

Hallieford, Virginia

Norfolk, Virginia

negative

On Sep 15, 2011, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Quite productive and survived blight that killed other varieties. I grew two plants, one in sun and one in a shaded area with only 4 hours sun. The shaded plant did not have as many fruit as the sunny one, but did better than any other beefsteak I tried in shade. Either birds or 4-legged creatures attacked these when barely ripe so I had to put covers over the fruit or I wouldn't get any myself! Taste is ok, just not great.

On Aug 25, 2009, JustSow from NW Boston Metro, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Vigorous, productive plants yield many large, irregularly-shaped fruits.

We discovered that if you do not fully vine ripen the fruits, Beefmaster will taste like a good, but not great tomato. However, if you allow this tomato to fully ripen on the vine, i.e., ensure that it is fully red without any orange shoulders and just beginning to soften, the flavor transforms to reveal marvelous sweetness combined with a complex, fruity undertone. We grew four large heirloom varieties and one large heirloom cross the same year we grew Beefmaster and used similar vine-ripening procedures on them all, but none could match the flavor of Beefmaster.

On Mar 26, 2009, cowtrailrd from Shawnee, OK wrote:

It may have been the heat but only produced early to mid year. Few tomatoes and because of being shape there was much wast . Did have a good flavor.

On Aug 9, 2007, jjpm74 from Stratford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Plants produce a large yield and thrive in my zone but the fruits are bland tasting. Not much separates this variety from the common baseball like tomato found at a local grocery store.

On May 9, 2006, TheEditor from Whiteland, IN wrote:

Maybe it's because I harvested my first Beefmaster on the same day I harvested my first Pink Brandywine, but compared to the sweet, succulent heirlooms, Beefmaster was just okay. Not a bad tomato by any means, but if you're going for taste, I can recommend at least a dozen I'd rather grow (including the aforementioned Brandywine).

On Jan 15, 2006, jfb1ak from Vassar, KS wrote:

I have nothing but good to say of this cultivar. It produced massively...I picked a 2 pounder well before the middle of July.

On Oct 19, 2003, The_Wiz from Independence, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Heavy, high producer, good flavor, meaty. 1st ripe tomato was a month or more after I had started to harvest other varieties. Stores well (over a week after fresh harvest). Most are over a pound and many are well shaped and round. Most are oblong and pinched, but over a pound each. This is the first time I have grown this variety. I will grow them every year from now on. I like them sliced thick on heavy bread for a noon meal. They generally hang over the edge of large slices of my favorite multi-grain.

On Aug 20, 2003, JorgeBorges from London, ON (Zone 4a) wrote:

The plant was healthy compared to the average; good harvest of large sized fruits.

Flavour slightly watery but great in sandwiches or salads with basil and mozzarella cheese.

Better yield in the plants pruned to 4 cordoned stems or less; stopped after the second flower truss. Overall a cultivar worthy of consideration for every year.

On Jul 20, 2003, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

For a hybrid,it does very well. I feel that the taste is flat compared to OP/Heirloom selections,but it grows well and produces tons of large beautiful tomatoes in hot,humid West KY.Most fruits are over 1 pound and seldom crack or split.

Compared to the supermarket offerings,the taste is much better,so I have to give it a neutral rating based on that.

For those of you who have followed my enteries here in the PDB,you know that I'm an heirloom/OP grower,so no,I didn't actually grow these,but they were grown in my uncle's garden.
I've been working on converting him,but old habits die hard,and since my garden was a total washout this year,any tomato is better than no tomato.