PlantFiles: Painted Bamboo, Striped Bamboo, Golden Hawaiian Bamboo
Bambusa vulgaris 'Vittata'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bambusa (bam-BOO-suh) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Vittata

> regular bamboo, in about the last decade of the 1800's and has spread all
> over the world by people dividing up the plant. In other words, (according
> to him), ALL GOLDEN bamboo is a clone of that original piece (much like a
> Naval Orange).

Some or most of that may be true. Vulgaris Vittata is just the variegated form of Bambusa vulgaris which actual origins may not be known.

> Now,according to him, ALL bamboo takes close to a hundred
> years to flower, and after it does, the plant dies.
> Therefore, in around the first few years of 2000,
> ALL GOLDEN BAMBOO WILL DIE!!! (I was so impressed with this statement, I
> have all ways remembered it.) (inaccurately -or there is a flaw in the
> statement somewhere).
> I would like to hear someones comment on this

While it is true that some bamboos flower every 100 years and some bamboo species all seem to flower at once and die, I do not beieve that is the case with Vulgaris Vittata.

Noted author Ted Jordan says; "Bambusa vulgaris has never had a general flowering period. The few isolated B. vulgaris plants that have flowered failed to produce viable seed, yet the species is vigorous and apparently undiminished be the lack of genetic diversity."

Neutral pds90 On Jan 17, 2011, pds90 from Clearlake, CA wrote:

> In my landscaping class,(many years ago) my instructor told me something
> that has always stuck with, and amazed me - To wit:
> "Golden Bamboo is (was) a chimera.. it was discovered in a clump of
> regular bamboo, in about the last decade of the 1800's and has spread all
> over the world by people dividing up the plant. In other words, (according
> to him), ALL GOLDEN bamboo is a clone of that original piece (much like a
> Naval Orange). Now,according to him, ALL bamboo takes close to a hundred
> years to flower, and after it does, the plant dies. Therefore, in around
> the first few years of 2000,
> ALL GOLDEN BAMBOO WILL DIE!!! (I was so impressed with this statement, I
> have all ways remembered it.) (inaccurately -or there is a flaw in the
> statement somewhere).
> I would like to hear someones comment on this
> Paul Spillane

Positive ByronC On Apr 18, 2010, ByronC from Jacksonville Beach, FL wrote:

My golden Hawaiian was doing great, approx 25 feet tall, then we experienced a number of freezing nights. They look like they are dying form the top down. What should I do?
ByronC

Positive Anjana On May 31, 2007, Anjana from Delhi
India wrote:

I had this bamboo in a pot for 3 years (in Delhi, India, mostly a hot climate) where its growth remained stagnant.. I planted it in the common society garden behind my house in partial shade.. the culms now stand 30 ft tall providing a beautiful green view from both above (I live in a 3rd floor flat that looks down upon the clump) and below. The bamboos are regularly harvested by poor folk for use in their huts..

Positive FloridaGrower On Jan 1, 2007, FloridaGrower from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

One of the most beautiful colored culms in bamboo. Like many other cultivars of bamboo, cut out old culms to get it to increase it culm diameter on the new shoots, and to keep it in check. Even though it is a clumper, its footprint can get pretty big. Very nice, especially if put in contrast to others types like Timor black.

Positive JARCAN On Mar 16, 2005, JARCAN from Sarasota, FL wrote:

The picture "PAINTED BAMBOO-SARASOTA, FL." is a picture of the Painted Bamboo we planted at our home in 1999. We paid $125 for three pencil size shoots of the plant. We almost didn't buy it, the man who was selling the plants told us that if in one year if we didn't like it he would come out to the house and dig it up and give us our money back. How could we loose? "IS THE FOCAL POINT" of the waterside area of our home. It sheds a great deal here in Sarasota, Fl, it may do so any where it grows but the faults of the plant well pale in comparison to the beauty.

JARCAN,
SARASOTA, FL.

Positive CAROBZ On Jun 5, 2004, CAROBZ from Melbourne, FL wrote:

Just moved into an existing property w/one acre of land; rear of property has a clump of painted bamboo, along w/other bamboo varieties here & there (clump area approx. 5' x 25' & 40' high). The bamboo area has been originally contained by an elevated bed w/rock surrounding it. Some lawn areas nearby have very small scattered clumps of new bamboo, which I plan to contain as well. What a fabulous and attractive screening this makes, esp. since our neighbors in the rear of us have horses, stalls, campers, etc. hidden by the bamboo. Love the sound of the bamboo when wind rustles it. Very anxious to learn all I can about bamboo. Thank you for your educational site.

Positive palmbob On Jul 21, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Sometimes known as striped bamboo, this species has highly ornamental culms- yellow with irregular green striping. It produces large culms that arch over. They make a pretty dense shade and can make a huge mess with their leaves (as can all bamboo). The culms are not too straight and not that useful for construction unless cut into short pieces. It is one of the more sturdy bamboos in terms of culture, though, and grows with very little care, water or fertilizer, still looking quite good. But ants will bring mealy bug and scale so need to be controlled. The roots are very tough and can lift up pavement, so careful where you plant this one.

Huntsville, Alabama