Dendrocalamus, Giant Bamboo

Dendrocalamus asper

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dendrocalamus (den-droh-KAL-uh-mus) (Info)
Species: asper (AS-per) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Ainaloa, Hawaii

Eugene, Oregon

On Oct 13, 2009, Ticovandal from Quepos
Costa Rica wrote:

I live on the coastal zone of the central pacific in Costa Rica. I have planted various types of bamboo on my farm and now have a problem. There are 5 large groves of Dendrocalamus Asper located under electric power lines. There is no access for machinery to dig up these plants and I am searching for information as to how to kill these 5 plants. Any information would be appreciated and you can also reply direct to:

On Dec 7, 2007, lynnopus from Mims, FL wrote:

Just planted mine and is a little slow to start but expect great things from this impressive species. Does anyone here think this tropical giant will grow in Eugene Or?

On Dec 30, 2006, FloridaGrower from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Although I have just aquired this one, I am sure it will do fine, as I have seen this bamboo in a botanical gardens that has lower temps than my own.. This is a beautiful BIG bamboo that is sure to wow when it gets to a mature size. Easy to propagate, and quick to size up in the right conditions, this bamboo is a joy to grow, and a site to behold.

On Jan 28, 2005, tropicalbamboo from Loxahatchee, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The previous comment may not be entirely accurate. D.asper originated in East India and it is cultivated primarily for large, edible shoots in Thailand and Indonesia.
I did a Google search and it seems a couple of newer nurseries are using the common name Giant Burmese Timber Bamboo for D.asper. I'm guessing the intended species for that common name was Dendrocalamus giganteus which DID originate in Burma. D.giganteus is the largest bamboo in the world and also produces large, edible shoots.
Either species will become fantastic shock-value specimens in the limited tropical or sub-tropical regions of the United States.

On May 19, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Origin: Burma (Asia) - Actually one of the common names is Giant Burmese Timber Bamboo. Large shoots are highest quality for food.

On May 7, 2004, dbinnix from Garden Grove, CA wrote:

As one of the growers of bamboo I can say that one characteristic of Dendorcalamus asper is that it is probably the most easy bamboo of all the clumping types to propogate. This has made the supply of this species grow until it is easily available and thus rather inexpensive (it used to be very expensive). So while it is still very impressive as seen in the photos, it is easily available. One other note is that it grows in the mountains in it's native tropics where it's cooler so here where it's cooler as well it does just fine, that's part of the reason why it's so easy to grow. Also since it likes it here it gets big, real big so if you want a big, big bamboo this is the one.

On Jul 21, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the largest bamboos there is, growing up to 100' in nature. Here in Los Angeles it may grow a little over half that, but it's still quite impressive. The culms are quite straight and ornamental, developing a blue-grey-green cast as they age. Young culms are quite green. The leaves are relatively large for a bamboo. This is one of the more tender large species barely surviving in some areas of Los Angeles, but doing quite well once established and large. Though the culms are straight, they are not one of the thicker, sturdier bamboos so not often used in heavy duty construction. But great for fences and ornamental sculpture. This is a very expensive species and prized in Southern California