Beargrass, Bottle Palm, Estrellas

Beaucarnea stricta

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Beaucarnea (bow-KAR-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: stricta (STRIK-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Beaucarnea glauca

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Cactus and Succulents

Pale Yellow

This plant is fire-retardant

By scoring the base of the bulb to promote new bulblets

Bakersfield, California

Charlotte, North Carolina

Imperial, Pennsylvania

Vieques, Puerto Rico

On Jun 12, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

My (pictured) ponytail palm is about 20 years old. It was in several containers for about 10 years before I finally planted it. We put in a different pool and I had, what I felt was an ideal spot, so I moved it to the pool area. It's been in it's current location about 4 years and is doing well. Although it's 20 years old, it has never flowered. It's a "no brainer" as far is care goes. Plant it and forget it. Just be sure to leave about 1/3 of it's bulb out of the ground when replanting or repotting them. Poolside in zone 10, it's ideal since it doesn't drop leaves. My plant shown is about 7' tall.

On Jan 23, 2005, nkmaynard from Palmdale, CA wrote:

I live in the high desert of So. California and have just recently purchased several Ponytails. One is about 5 feet tall and the others are much smaller. I would like to plant them poolside this spring but am having trouble finding good references to soil mixture and ammendment. I am also looking for the same info on various palms like Sago, Cat, and Dates. Any tips?

On Aug 24, 2004, 112036 from Plano, TX wrote:

I have had two ponytail palms for over 10 years and one for about 5 years. Recently, I have discovered scale on the leaves. I have scraped and sprayed with an all purpose spray. It is better, but not gone. Any comments?

On Jul 6, 2004, lsdean from St. Augustine, FL wrote:

I have had my ponytail plant for over 15 years. It just bloomed this year and the bloom is about 4 feet high.

On Jun 6, 2004, jerradb from Santa Barbara, CA wrote:

I have kept this plant in a container for six years. It finally bloomed this year. The spikes are 12"-18" long with little white clusters of flowers running the complete length.

On Dec 4, 2003, smashedcricket from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Plant does well in tropical,subtropical semi desert regions. Grows wild in central america and far southeastern mexico in the semi desert areas. Perfers dry and rather cool conditions in winter, moderately warm fall and spring and hot in summer. also, water thoroughly in the summer, and sparingly in the winter. Does not need too much fertilizer, but young plants can take a weak soloution each time watering is nessessary. Will grow much faster in the landscape than in a pot.

On Jul 21, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This species is a not nearly as popular in nurseries as its cousin, N recurvata, but still is a very ornamental plant with an equally curious, massive base to its stem. The primary difference is in the leaves- completely straight instead of curving/ drooping, and usually branches less than N recurvata. The blooms are similar. Both eventually develop massive bases up to 15' or more in diameter, though it seems N recurvata is a larger plant in the base.