Species Rose
Rosa filipes 'Kiftsgate'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Species: filipes (fil-EE-pays) (Info)
Cultivar: Kiftsgate
Additional cultivar information:(aka Filipes Kiftsgate)
Hybridized by Murrell

Trained as rambler

Other Details:

Sets hips

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

Atlanta, Georgia

Canton, New York

Hicksville, New York

Bothell, Washington

negative

On Feb 22, 2010, mlnapier from Atlanta, GA wrote:

I planted a Kiftsgate rose next to a dogwood tree in March 2003 in my garden in Atlanta, GA. I got it from countrysideroses.com. It was recommended by my garden designer as a low maintenance rose. The reason I don't like it and took it out (after 7 years) was because it only blooms for about 10 days once a year. Also, it is an aggressive grower which meant frequent pruning and the thorns are VERY SHARP. NOT worth the work and scratches for 10 days of blooms.

On Jun 11, 2006, pookerella from Bellmore, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

They are gorgeous. They grow all along our highways on Long Island. Unfortunately, there isn't a nursery in the US that sells them...only found them on the web in the UK. They bloom here in late spring, though, at least they did this year. We've had an unusual year this year as we pretty much had a zone 8 winter. Everything was in full bloom, including these lovely plants!

On Jun 12, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I can agree with this.. I 've seen this rose growing at the side of a house ...growing allready 10 meters high reaching for more..When it's flowering it's lovely..big sprays of fragnant white blooms...strong and healthy..best if it can grow into a old tree where it can grow and flower as much as it likes to do.

Hybridizer: E Murrell - 1954

On Jul 23, 2003, davidmcewan2 from Glasgow
United Kingdom wrote:

Try to stop this fast growing climber. The biggest rose I have grown, 12feet in its first year. The blooms are white, fragrant and single. A very healthy and strong growing rose. I cannot think of a negative other than it grows too large.