Java Plum, Jambolan Plum

Syzygium cumini

Family: Myrtaceae (mir-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Syzygium (siz-ZY-gee-um) (Info)
Species: cumini (KOO-min-ee) (Info)
Synonym:Eugenia cumini
Synonym:Eugenia jambolana
Synonym:Syzygium Jamun

Edible Fruits and Nuts

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Garden Grove, California

Rockledge, Florida

Venice, Florida

Brownsville, Texas

Harlingen, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas (2 reports)

Weslaco, Texas

On Jun 9, 2015, Mark_B from Garden Grove, CA wrote:

Ours is a healthy tree that's about 10-12 feet tall, and it blooms profusely, but it won't set fruit. Why?

On Dec 25, 2013, ShaKid from Bali
Indonesia wrote:

We have this tree in our coconut garden in Bali. Here is called Pohon Juwet. The major problems we are facing are:

1) Stains everywhere from the fruits. Many guests complained that this trees stains are hardly washable. Even removing the stains from the floor is being an impossible mission (I am uploading some pictures later). Help on this matter is HIGHLY appreciated.

2) Many leaves falling down all year round.

3) Squirrels seems to love it and every week we have some considerable size branch falling down (a 1 meter branch just fell down right next to me when taking the pictures...)

According to the locals the fruits ripe from november to january here in Indonesia. After that all fruits have already fallen down.

On Aug 15, 2013, Weitgei from Lasana, TX wrote:

Tree is a beautiful, thick, evergreen windbreak, tolerating alkaline soil, drought, and wind here. Fruits are very astringent, but I've found the taste grew on me quickly, and now I like eating them. Fruits air-dried on the living room table tasted even better. Highly recommended food source.

On Feb 23, 2010, kiloa from Miami, FL wrote:

It should not be planted in central or south Florida because according to the Florida Exotic Plant Pest Council (FLEPPC), it is a Category 1 invasive plant. There are many alternatives including the Syzygium jambos (Jambo fruit tree), which is a beautiful tree and no longer on the invasive list.

On Feb 17, 2010, flasoleil from Naples, FL wrote:

Reminiscing! I loved those trees growing up in Naples and Ft Myers FL. We used to play tag in them if they were big enough. Parents hated them because the plums stained everything they touched. Most people don't like the taste as they are very tannic but they are amazingly thirst quenching on a hot summer day. My mother used to make jelly from them.
I see them becoming a nuisance plant due to them being so hardy, messy and not being native to FL and they have become very hard to find in my area.

On Jul 27, 2008, evr from Toronto, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

I don't know if it's this is the same species from the Philippines, we call ours "duhat" and they're sold in wet markets beside the annonas, jackfruits and other tropical fruits. They're tarty and that's all I can remember, but my mom seems to like them (they kinda look like giant grapes but taste nothing like them).

On Apr 27, 2008, trax from Merritt Island, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Some of my complaints about this tree: Very messy tree. The fruit was non edible, very asceptic. It produced copious amounts of fruit which eventually covered the ground under the tree with a solid layer purple berries which stained everything. Nothing grew under the tree so I had a huge sand pit. It stays green all year, but drops large amounts of leaves. Lovebugs would swarm the tree and pollinate the flowers and moths would spawn from the rotting fruit, mosquitoes would lurk in the dense shade during the midday sun ready to feed on anyone brave enough to walk under it. I sent it to tree heaven.

On Jun 22, 2004, anjaan from Arvada, CO wrote:

We had a large Jaman tree in India. It is called Jaman in the sub continent. We kids used to climb during hot summer months and eat jug full of these excellent fruit. Thre fruits were perfect in shape and taste.

On May 24, 2004, mrbyrd from Big Pine Key, FL wrote:

This plant was recently added to the "to be watched " list of the Florida keys invasive exotic task force. That means it may invade native/ natural habitat and displace our native plants.

On Sep 15, 2003, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Java Plum or Jambolan (Syzygium cumini), an evergreen tree upto about 80 ft tall, is widely cultivated in the tropics. Also known as Syzygium jambolana, Eugenia cumini and Eugenia jambolana, it is naturalized in all the islands of Hawaii, Australia, the Philippines, Zanzibar, Mombassa, and Kenya.

The United States Dept. Of Agriculture(USDA) imported Java Plum seeds primarily for ornamental purposes from the Philippines in 1911 and 1920, from Java in 1912 and from Zanzibar also in 1912.

The virtually indestructible Java Plum thrives in low wet areas, as well as higher well-drained land, including loam, sand, or limestone.

It can withstand prolonged flooding.

It does well in its native range in areas with as much as 400 inches ... read more

On Sep 13, 2003, ejb5472 from Port Saint Lucie, FL wrote:

This species is extremely fast growing. From seed, I have propagated several trees that achieved heights of 20+ feet in about five years. Makes an excellent shade tree, and although the fruit is very tart, birds seem to love it. Give this plant plenty of room to expand; mature specimens will be 40-50 feet tall with foliage diameter around 50 feet.

On Jul 23, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I love those little fruits. I even fought hornets that were eating them to get some for me once.

Only a few notes. This tree can grow pretty tall, so to get it short enough to get the fruits you should cut the upper branches regularly in order to force it to grow wider. Also, the fruit juice can stain everything, so be prepared to wash you driveway or your walkside when the mature fruits start to fall