PlantFiles: Triangle Palm
Dypsis decaryi

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dypsis (DIP-sis) (Info)
Species: decaryi (de-KAR-yee) (Info)

Synonym:Neodypsis decaryi

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Blooms all year

Blue-Green

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked
From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Thumbnail #1 of Dypsis decaryi by palmbob

Thumbnail #5 of Dypsis decaryi by palmbob

Thumbnail #6 of Dypsis decaryi by palmbob

Thumbnail #7 of Dypsis decaryi by palmbob

Neutral imagerep On Aug 4, 2013, imagerep from Westlake Village, CA wrote:

We have two on our property. Beautiful palm but frustrating for us to grow due to winter frost sets them back each year. We'll get several nights during winter with 25-28F and frawns will burn.

Positive johnchen99 On Mar 19, 2012, johnchen99 from Livermore, CA wrote:

Easy to grow with some protection under large trees in Livermore, CA.

Positive AZJeff On Sep 19, 2010, AZJeff from Sahuarita, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I ordered these Triangle palm seeds from a seed company along with other types of palms. I have 3 just starting to sprout. I planted them on Aug.1st and the 1st one came up on 9/15/10. I don't know how they will grow in southern AZ but I will give it a try. I plan to keep them as protected patio plants in pots for now. I've never seen anyone growing them in this area. To me the palm resembles a strange date palm from a distance or date palm crossed with a Travelers tree. The thing that really interests me about it,is they say the trunk is like 3 sided like a triangle,hence it's name. The sprouts on mine are of course like little spears,green with small black spots on them. I hope this isn't like a "feather frond" palm,as those types don't do well in this region,due to our extreme hot sun,low humidities,and sometimes dip down to freezing temps at night on occasions in winter.

Positive liss52 On Jun 25, 2010, liss52 from Ocean View, HI wrote:

Triangle palms are growing abundantly on the Big Island of Hawaii despite the current, long drought we are having.

Neutral HK22 On Feb 26, 2010, HK22 from Sydney
Australia wrote:

Not one of my favorite palms, it usually looks tatted here in the Sydney region (Australia), and I have never really seen a nice one. But for an exotic palm, this is a good choice anyway.

Neutral lynnkenton On Sep 1, 2009, lynnkenton from Ventura, CA wrote:

My friend has a beutiful specimen in her yard here in Ventura, CA. I ordered seeds from Whatcom Seed Co. and germinated them.(took 3 mos.). How deep do we plant them now that they're going into pots?

Positive neatoplantguy On May 11, 2009, neatoplantguy from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

I have had great success at growing these palms from seed in Fl. I have a nice crop of year and a half old babies, out of all of them one is extremely gold colored with pink instead of the deep red the other palms have. It is just as healthy and growing at the same rate, same soil and same mother plant. If anyone has had the same experience I would like to find out more.

Positive shanephxaz On Jul 15, 2008, shanephxaz from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Having no knowledge of this palm before purchasing back in summer of '07, I had no idea that that winter would end up being the coldest in 35 years! all the mature fronds on it died, except the newest shoot. I was devastated! Somehow, miraculously, it made it. And it's a beautiful specimen once more. taking center stage in my courtyard. getting afternoon shade only, under 4 huge washingtonia palms and a date palm. highly recommended, but for sheltered locations only.

Positive 208va On Jun 21, 2007, 208va from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

THE PLANT WAS PURCHASED IN ROCKPORT, TX, ON THE TEXAS COAST. I LIVE IN ZONE 7, ABOUT 350 MILES NORTH OF THE TEXAS COAST, SO I KEEP THE PALM IN A CONTAINER AND BRING INSIDE IN WINTER. iT SEEMS TO THRIVE IN PART SUN AND MODERATE WATER, SOME WELL BALANCED FERTILIZER KEEPS NEW GROWTH FORMING. BEAUTIFUL PLANT.

Positive deezpalms On Jan 27, 2006, deezpalms from Oceanside, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

The Triangle palms grows great in southern california but does alot better inland then it does on the coast. Even with a perfect fertilizer diet including all micro nutrients and trace elements it can be difficult to get this palm to look its best without a great amount of heat and sun. Don't get me wrong, here in my coastal garden the tree does great and looks very beautiful however the difference is much like a car. If you wash your car it looks great but if you wax it it looks even better!

Positive GernBlandston On Nov 18, 2005, GernBlandston from Lake Elsinore, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I'm growing five triangle palms along the top of a five-foot slope in zone 9b. They survived a little snow that lasted several hours last winter (2004), with negligible damage. They are growing in full sun and get watered sparingly by drip irrigation. They are beautiful trees!

Positive laspalmasdesign On Dec 29, 2003, laspalmasdesign from Los Altos, CA wrote:

An easy to grow and unusual looking palm. I have several in my yard in partial to full shade and all are doing well here in the SF Bay Area. Mine seem to like lots of water despite what some say about them being better off on the dry side. My soil is a clay loam mix. These palms have become very easy to come by. I recently bought a beautiful 6' tall trunking one in a 15 gal. container at the Home Depot for $39.90.

Positive palmbob On Jul 23, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is quickly becoming a popular avenue palm in Southern California, in the warmer areas (gets burnt by frosts)- a native of Madagascar. It's called the triangle palm because it grows its leaves in three ranks (tristichous) just like a triangle from above. The crownshaft (not a true crownshaft) has a unique look that is very ornamental, sort of like a pagoda, and is covered with dark, maroon fuzz. THe leaves are a blue-green. This plant is one of the more drought tolerant Madagascan palms, and resents too much water, especially in poorly draining soils. This also is a very difficult to move when large, having very sensitive roots that tend to die off if manipulated.

Grenoble,
Big Pine Key, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida
Bradenton, Florida
Brandon, Florida
Cape Coral, Florida (4 reports)
Citrus Park, Florida
St John, Mississippi
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Vieques, Puerto Rico
Brownsville, Texas
Galveston, Texas (2 reports)
League City, Texas